Big or little pig?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Can anyone tell me how big the boar that left this track would have been? I saw a number of boar in the area after I took the photo, and saw tracks from a young boar that were tiny in comparison, but how big would this fella have been, and what sort of weight are we looking at? First picture is a bit crap, sorry!

HPIM2027.jpg

HPIM2028.jpg

Cheers

Spamel

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
My monitor is dimming some, so I can't really tell how large the track is, but the sharp angles of the track could say that it's a relatively young hog. Some of the largest tracks I've found have belonged to hogs that weighed in the neighborhood of 300# and the tracks have been about 4" long. They were less sharp angled and had a more rounded or worn appearance. Are there dew claws visible in the track? How is the depth of the track compared to your footprint? Any scat visible in the hogs line of travel? This will seem kinda gross, but when trying to come up with the size of a pig, comparing their scat to yours as far as size, can give you a good idea as to their size/weight as compared to your own.

Here is a site that illustrates the track of a wild hog

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Is the photo recent? With spring here feral pigs grow rapidly. I'm guessing it would be @ 120-150 pounds if I read your Silva correctly. I used up my G.I. education benefits taking agriculture courses after getting my M.A. Pigs are so smart I almost gave up pork. I was on one of the California Channel islands formerly privately owned. It was overrun with feral pigs and goats that were destroying native plants, animals and archaeologic sites. Theoretically, there was commercial hunting to remove them all. In practise the caretaker kept a stable population for profit until the state took ownership. I was over there, more for the escape than hunt. My party of nimrods got so wild bullets were wizzing every which way. I finally dove into some brush with a string of curses. I heard a mumbled grunt of agreement and figured it was my friend Barry. After my party moved north I sat up.'Barry' did likewise, and trotted off south, all 300 spotted and heavily tusked pounds of him :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE