Beginner Leather work.

I'm wanting to take up leatherwork but don't really know much about it.

what tools/equipment would you reccomend buying to start out, and what type of leather would be appropriate for general items such as belts, pouches and sheath's.

Ive been looking at shoulders of leather on LeProvo and am I right in thinking you can only buy a full Shoulder?

so any information would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm wanting to take up leatherwork but don't really know much about it.

what tools/equipment would you reccomend buying to start out, and what type of leather would be appropriate for general items such as belts, pouches and sheath's.

Ive been looking at shoulders of leather on LeProvo and am I right in thinking you can only buy a full Shoulder?

so any information would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

unfortunately, unless you live on the doorstep, you have to buy larger lumps yes.
I'm fortunate, in that I only live a 20 minute car journey away and can pop in fairly frequently, picking up the odd bargain.
they have had some really nice offcuts of hide lately, around the £15-£35 mark as opposed to paying for full shoulders, i'm almost sure you can buy half shoulders at least.
your best bet is to give them a ring and see what you can sort out.

You can buy belt straps precut, saving you buying a strap cutter ( and learning how to use it!)
Leather working can be an expensive hobby, the raw material is not cheap, although most of the tools are pretty affordable.
So; what do you need to start?
Well, the following is just a basic kit:

a very sharp knife, a stanley knife will do but an XACTO or similar is better

a pack of saddlers, harness needles, size 3 excellent for general med to heavy hide( 25 for £1.50 odd iirc)

25 grams of somac, unwaxed linen thread, 3/18 or similar, a lot of us are using artificial sinew now but thats a step or two on from starters, if only due to price/availability.

A "diamond" awl blade and handle ( get two if your at all heavy handed as they are very brittle and unforgiving:rolleyes: )

a stitch groover; now you can get a fixed one or an adjustable one its up to you but if you get into it you'll find both handy.

a No.6 overstitch wheel-for marking stitch holes in the lines you have already made with the groover.

a small block of beeswax.

if you want to make bag type pouches from thinner soft leathers, a packet of glovers needles would be handy.

other tools that are handy; are a pair of long nose pliers, a small pair of sharp, side cutters or "snips" and a size 2 edge beveller.

You will also need some dye.

don't waste money on things like edge slickers and "safety bevellers"
most important: a copy of " the art of hand sewing leather" by Al Stohlman

What I would suggest is that you price it all up, then price up some veg tan 3 to 3.5mm hide and see what it's going to cost you.
The thing is, if you bought a basic kit similar to above and you decided it wasn't for you after a while, you could almost certainly sell the gear on at not too horrendous a loss.

anyway I hope this is helpful
best wishes
Steve

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I bought my 3mm veg tan as strap leather but about 8" wide by 44" which is 4 x 2" as one piece. I was advised this was the best way to buy small pieces (over on BB) but I may be wrong

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
If you want some lighter weight leather, I can get 'scraps' of upholstery leather at a quid a pound (I'll post it to you at cost)., coloured stuff is nearer 1.50 per 1lb

Their idea of scrap is anything much smaller then a foot by 18 inches, or with scars or holes in it. If you don't mind cutting around the flaws (or leave them in for character, like I do) you can make quite a lot of stuff from a five pound bag.

I use glovers needles to sew it, or my old Singer (I don't think a modern dressmakers machine will cope with it though)

PM me and we'll sort something

rancid badger

The idea of buying an extra wide strap seems quite a good one to me, I don't know what the cost difference would be but if you buy sides or shoulders etc, you end up paying for the odd shaped bits around the usable leather anyway so paying more for a nice wide strip probably makes sense.
I wouldn't mess about trying to cut belt straps from a wider strap, unless you have a strap cutter though.( been there:11doh: )
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE