Begadi Smock.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I'm writing a few words about the Begadi smock I recently took delivery of that was discussed about in this thread, http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61995&pagenumber=
The smocks are sold by Begadi from here, http://begadishop.com/catalog/advan...From&pto=Price+To&inc_subcat=1&sort=2a&page=1.
I'm very pleased with the jacket and the price I paid for it. It is a modern update of the SAS windproof smock with 15 pockets!
The jacket is very well made with strong bar tacks in all the stress points, good components, fabric and stitching throughout and the hood and shoulders are double lined.
Not having a camera to hand and being lazy, I'll hijack this guy's page and review, http://strikehold.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/be-x-smock-gen-2/.
The only real problem for me about the new jacket is that the sleeves cannot be comfortably rolled up without removing some stitching behind the closure, this can be easily fixed. Also the pocket tops are not attached to the underside of the flaps, on my early Arktis DPM smock this feature is very secure.
With the addition of cord locks, the only change I'd like to make to this jacket is to attach buttons to the poacher's and internal breast pockets and demilitarise it by removing the rank tab and some Velcro.
Postage direct from Begadi to a British address is €15.90 but from their Irish agent to me was only €7.60.
All in all, I'm very pleased with my purchase, please feel free to ask any questions.
Happy trails...torc.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Torc it looks really good :approve:, thanks for the review, but how did you get the price ?
I pulled up the page and it says £77.55 and that's without postage.
Under £16 I'd have bought for the boys.

cheers,
Toddy

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Sorry Toddy, that was the cost of the postage. €15.90 from Begadi to the UK but only €7.60 from their Irish distributor to me.
The UK shipping price is listed on the right hand side of the page down near the bottom. They do not post directly to Ireland.
I don't have much experience with British Army style smocks, just an early Arktis waterproof which is very good but a little too martial to go about town in.
I think Begadi smock buyers will not be disappointed.
Happy trails...torc.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Torc, I really needed to engage brain :rolleyes:

I like the practicality of the jacket without the camouflage :cool: Just good woodland colours :approve:

cheers,
M

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
glad its turned out nice Torc, definitely tempted in one of these now, my only problem now is whether to get plain Olive or go for any of the camo choices :D
wish they did it in 6 colour desert. love that old choc chip style.

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
I think it says in the Blurb that it is loosely based on the old rhodesian cammo , I have a few pieces of that from my Uncle and may just get a smock to compliment it mmmmmmm ;) would need to fade down a lot to match tho as his stuff got some hammer in the war LOL

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Looks nice, tempted by a tan or rooivalk one. Got a few questions tho,

Hows the weight? I have an old flecktarn parka (unnervingly with a stitched up bullet hole in the back) but I tend to leave it at home now because of the weight of the thing.

How is it in the wind? I assume pretty damn good? How about in the rain? Quick drying? Does it soak through easily, or quickly?

How baggy is the fit and when wearing a rucksack do the pockets on your bum get in the way?

What about the rest of their clothing line? Some of it looks dead good:
http://begadishop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=316_317_330&products_id=4593

Good price on that one, might be worth a buy, dont have a windshirt currently...

I like how their 'ultra light' silnylon tarp doesn't have the weight listed. Good going there!!

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Hello Highbinder, the smock weighs 1.25kg and forms a rough cylinder of about 22 x 15cm when rolled into its own hood.
It is very windproof but it readily soaks water from a tap which just about sums up every other untreated smock on the market. If the swelling of the threads slows the ingress of water, I don't know. Also I don't know how much the fabric wicks moisture to any layer of clothing underneath, I haven't been out in the rain yet. As far as drying goes, it seems to dry quickly enough in a breeze.
The rearmost pockets do not effect the wearing of a rucksack but the large buttons may snag in something. Accessing the pockets isn't easy when wearing a hip belt.
Sizing runs a bit on the big side, I normally take size L but a size M would suit me just fine in a Begadi smock.
I did not buy directly from Begadi but from their agent in Ireland. Dispatch to the agent was very quick and replies to my emails by Begadi were prompt so no problems with customer service.
You guys are right about "Opfor", it's pretty fly and sure does look like the Rhodie camo bellow.
rhodesia_camo_shirts.jpg

Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE