Been having a play with some leather

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I made a Sami coffee style pouch and a sporran. I just need to get some swade dye for them.

Thanks to Ozhaggishead for the thread on the sporran!

I made the button out of 2 bits of 3mm thick leather a stiched togeather. I really like just how much space the sporran has in it, you can fit everything you'd need in it and more. Boy was it fun turning them inside out once all the sewing was done as its 2mm pretty firm swade.

I can do alot better job on the coffee pouch, I made it while sat infront of the telly and had no plans to go by, I just looked at a few photos and could tell it was 3 bits of leather, but the stuff I've got is way too thick for it and I was just using nylon cord as I want to save the waxed cotton I normaly use on leather for a sheath I'm about to make. A 3mm thick one with fire steel holder for my Trapper as I want something abit more beefy than the 2mm one I use now that I made, even if I do say so myself is a great little sheath.

The one I'm going to replace.

I love the way the knife clicks into place in it, I wetformed it to the knife which has a thicker handle than the kit sheath which it wont fit in.

I also was board the other day and made a CO2 capsule holster.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Nice gathering of new gear man, Especially like the pouch and the sporran, really nice colour mix, works really well in my opinion.
Lovely stuff, keep up the good work and thanks for posting, perhaps I will give those sporrans a try of my own sometime.
Yours sincerely Ruud

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks everyone.

Ozhaggishead's sizes on the thread I think it's called something along the lines of small pouch tutorial are pretty perfect for me. Its not small and isn't huge at the same time and will sit nicely on your belt with plent of room for other stuff next to it. It swallowed my hip flask like it wasn't there, always nice to have a nice bit of single malt scottish whisky when out (as long as I'm not driving).

I sort of have a goal of making most of my gear. At some point I want to make a canvas and leather rucksack all hand stitched, I'm thinking it might be my main winter project.

Last edited:

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Just a little update:

I made the sheath I wanted to make. I wanted it basicly the same as the one I've been using for a couple of years. It came out just how I wanted.

It fits nice and tight as I wet formed it, I can hold it upside down and shake it and the knife dosen't move. I also made it so it sits pretty deep in the sheath.

I also wanted to have an option for a swinging sheath that I can put on and take off quickly. I used a gunmetal D ring instead of brass.

For the firesteel loop I used the standard Light My Fire one as all the blank ones I have are the same size.

I must say I really do like the feel of the extra weight of the thicker leather on my belt.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Lovely piece there Amon, I really like that sheath,
but have to say the sight of that plastic firesteel just doesnt fit with the sheath.
I dont know if your into making firesteel handles, if you do you 'll have a new project ^^
If you dont maybe we can find someone on this forum who does ^^.
Yours sincerely the critic, ( sorry with all respects of course) Ruud

we just want more custom stuff ^^

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I am actually going to make a matching walnut one, I just need to wait for the wood arives in the post.

I used that one so I knew that bog standard one will fit if needed and it gave me the position of where on it I wanted it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE