Beekeeping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi all from previous posts I know there are a few beekeepers out there my wife and I got our first hive this year. We are starting to have a problem with wasps and wondered if any of the more experienced beekeepers out there have any suitable advice thanks Chas

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Rob thanks for advice this backs up the advice someone else gave us, we have narrowed the entrance and will keep are fingers crossed. I thought I would also let you know I put the Gransfors SFA I purchased from you to, good use on the Bow making course I attended at Woodcraft School. It was the quickest way to remove the waste timber off my Wych Elm billet, and was so sharp I could also use it for planing cuts.

Charlie EG Fire Station

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
what kind of problem are the wasps causing?

we've just started beekeeping at the farm this year and noticed quite a few wasps in the hives. after asking our mentors (at the edinburgh and midlothian beekeepers association) if this was a problem, they said the bees would take care of it.

it would take an awful lot of wasp raids to cause a good hive a problem, and ive watched the bees in our hives mobbing wasps.

btw, how is it going? did you get much honey this year?

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Hi there,

Get empty 2litre juice bottle (glass or clear plastic is best) or similar and 1/4 fill with water then with a thin stick smear some honey or jam on the inside neck of the bottle....the wasps will get caught, but the bees wont touch it even when put on top of each hive or at the entrance....and yes if they have started robbing the hive big time close the hive entrance right down to 2''....this should help. It works a treat before the wasps get a grip on a hive.

Best Regards, :)

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
bushman762 said:
Hi there,

Get empty 2litre juice bottle (glass or clear plastic is best) or similar and 1/4 fill with water then with a thin stick smear some honey or jam on the inside neck of the bottle....the wasps will get caught, but the bees wont touch it even when put on top of each hive or at the entrance....and yes if they have started robbing the hive big time close the hive entrance right down to 2''....this should help. It works a treat before the wasps get a grip on a hive.

Best Regards, :)

thats quality advice for the future dude. the hives we have are modern smiths and im sure the entrance aint much bigger than 2" anyway...

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
thanks bushman762 and locum76
the bees seem to be coping but we are getting an increased presence of wasps at entrance. We have already reduced entrance and will place some traps to give the bees a helping hand.
We have extracted about 24 lb of honey which we are pleased with in are first year, we could probably taken more but we have left them several frames for supplies for the winter.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
you could take all the honey and reward the bees with sugar solution for the winter...?

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Locum 76
we did think about taking it all as we will be feeding through the winter, but the wife is funny like that and thinks she should reward them by leaving some of their honey for their effort. As it will be the first time we have had a hive over the winter and the swarm is very good tempered we want to give them as much help surviving the winter as possible.

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
We've just taken 45ish pounds from our two hives not bad after staring with 1 hive in April!
Wasps rob out the hive and will empty it of stores if given the chance, we narrowed down our entrance blocks even further by hammering small nails into the gap area at 8mm intervals - also good for stopping mice getting in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE