Beating the cold weather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks to everone who posted here, some good advise and tips, thanks, esp Bimble, & Mike Ameling who took the extra time to explain their views.
I would like to use Ventile, but it's a bit expensive to just fu?* up at work IMHO. I second the scarf advise, very worth while.

Tights ehh??! Ahemm, I herd whispers of men using them, but put it down to jokie 'I'm wearing my wifes knickers' type thing. Hmmm.....

Just for the record, I am no tart when it comes to cold weather, I've endured several winters outside with work, dog walks, swimming etc. Defo not an office tart!!
I just feel it more than I use to, getting older I guess!

Overalls sound like a good idea, and I guess my boots are proberly a bit cra?py. Company issue, so cheap skate I bet.
Although one worker tried different boots, and found them no different.

Never liked fish, but will start having cod liver oil, have a good diet otherwise.
Rum in my hot choc would help, but not if I'm working on a roof!!

"6 months on a farm, the lowest we hit was -42°C" Dude, I just couldn't be paid enough not to emigrate, you must be as hard as nails!

And just as a second question, which gloves for warmth and finger dexterity? I guess the movabiliy is more important than the warmth.

Thanks again for helping a old man keep warm.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
To answer Susi question, when I'm outside I can be doing phsyical work, or stationary for periods of time.

I have the same problem, II find that my feet are the worst effected interesting to see youc are form anglia ;) I was born and raised in north suffolk .

Anyhow.. I find that my temprature goes up and down like a yo yo there is no in between I get hot and I get cold never comfortble warm.. For example im sitting indoors now and I have woolen socks and slippers a tee shirt and thick arran sweater on and I fell a little sweaty but if I take off the sweater ill get really cold.

I have found that draughts are a killer ! if its warm but there is abit of ir flow I feel cold on my hands and feet..

I have found staying in next to the fire helps a lot of the time and keep all the doors shut.. When im outdoors big a big!!! fire and use a blanket to keep the draft off your back..

Secondly I think the fact that I sweat alot that the cloths get slightly damp then thats when I get cold !!

Simon

PS Incedently I went for a long weekend int he snow I took a pair of wooden clogs they are brilliant@@ serious one pair of wollen walking socks and a pair of wooden shoes really kept my feet toasty!

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Thanks to everone who posted here, some good advise and tips, thanks, esp Bimble, & Mike Ameling who took the extra time to explain their views.
I would like to use Ventile, but it's a bit expensive to just fu?* up at work IMHO. I second the scarf advise, very worth while.

Tights ehh??! Ahemm, I herd whispers of men using them, but put it down to jokie 'I'm wearing my wifes knickers' type thing. Hmmm.....

Just for the record, I am no tart when it comes to cold weather, I've endured several winters outside with work, dog walks, swimming etc. Defo not an office tart!!
I just feel it more than I use to, getting older I guess!

Overalls sound like a good idea, and I guess my boots are proberly a bit cra?py. Company issue, so cheap skate I bet.
Although one worker tried different boots, and found them no different.

Never liked fish, but will start having cod liver oil, have a good diet otherwise.
Rum in my hot choc would help, but not if I'm working on a roof!!

"6 months on a farm, the lowest we hit was -42°C" Dude, I just couldn't be paid enough not to emigrate, you must be as hard as nails!

And just as a second question, which gloves for warmth and finger dexterity? I guess the movabiliy is more important than the warmth.

Thanks again for helping a old man keep warm.

My mum told me about those salesmen wearing pantyhose instead of regular long underwear with their business suits. Lots less bulk, yet still that extra warmth. She managed a furniture store in a small town for years and talked with a lot of salesmen.

Wood shoes or wood soled shoes are simply amazing in the cold. It does take a bit of getting used to them, but they sure insulate your feet from the cold ground. Working on ladders or a roof might be a bit tricky, though.

I grew up using those yellow cotton flannel "chore gloves". They offer good warmth/protection, but also offer pretty good dexterity. And they are usually a little loose. Tight gloves seem to transfer the cold/heat faster.

See about giving those rubber overshoes/boots a try. Not those insulated selfcontained "wellingtons" type boots/shoes, but the thinner more flexible pull-over your existing shoes type. They block a lot of wind/cold, and also hold in what heat you have. Although, they can also hold in a lot of moisture if you end up sweating a lot. And you should be able to find some that don't cost too much. I use Tingley brand, but also have some of the 3-buckle kind.

And you might check out those snowmobile boots. Some can be much less expensive, but still offer very good insulation. If you find some that will work for you, then see about picking up an extra set of those felt booty type liners for them. That way you have an extra set while the other is "drying/air-ing out".

And also check out the gloves while you are there. Some might be just what you want/need. You might even want to stop in and check out what is available at the Ski shops. Their stuff tends to be more ... fashionable ... but also more expensive.

Coveralls. There are simple single-layer ones and insulated ones. The single layer ones help. You often see vehicle mechanics using them. It protects their clothes from oil/grease. But they also are good for those times when it is not so cold. And the insulated ones work very very well. I do have two of the Carhartt ones, but also some by Wall and Dickies. Dickies and Walls are a less expensive version, while the Carhartt are the expensive ones. Most people can get by with the less expensive ones, but the farmers and construction workers I know tend to buy the more expensive Carhartts. They do tend to be tougher and last longer/better.

Hope this helps. I feel the cold in my bones more now also. But life goes on.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The wet cold we get here is different to the dry cold in northern latitudes. My cousin lives in Calgary and prefers -20degs C there than 3degs here. It's a dry cold so more pleasant. Most Calgary houses have humidifiers it's so dry. Stops the wood furniture drying out !

Nick

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I have a pair of these, only used them for fishing up to now but so comfortable I can sleep in them standing up.
icon7.gif

http://www.rugbytackle.co.uk/fishin...594&fishing=PROLOGIC MAX-4 POLAR + ZONE BOOTS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE