BCB Crusader/Webtex warrior stoves

Dec 6, 2008
lincolnshire
Have been lurking on here for some time now so hope you dont mind me asking what may seem a daft question,i had/have a webtex warior cook set,and have just aquired the bcb crusader cooking set which seems a little bigger and does not have as many air holes around the stove part as the webtex,is the crusader better than or worse than the webtex as i have not used them yet.

Also another daft question bothe stoves have a piece of round metal bar that folds out of the way and what looks like a pan type handle although the mugs of both seem to sit okay with or without this across is there another reason for this or am i just giving everyone a good laugh,thanks for any help and glad i found this site,

best regards,Clive.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
the stove and cup are ok, the cup holds slightly less, has no volume markings and a slightly smaller handle. It is still good and a cheaper option.

The cheap webtex 58 pattern STYLE water bottles have a crap lid that leaks, i think you can get new tops from endicotts. persoanlly i have the webtex stuff and keeping it as a spare, got the proper crusader mug and osprey 58 pattern water bottle (the proper one)

Dec 6, 2008
lincolnshire
the stove and cup are ok, the cup holds slightly less, has no volume markings and a slightly smaller handle. It is still good and a cheaper option.

The cheap webtex 58 pattern STYLE water bottles have a crap lid that leaks, i think you can get new tops from endicotts. persoanlly i have the webtex stuff and keeping it as a spare, got the proper crusader mug and osprey 58 pattern water bottle (the proper one)

Ahh,that has probably answered another thing i was thinking of as the 58 pattern bottle i have also leaks and the webtex units/mug doesnt seem to fit (tight) very well on the bottle and the crusader cup seems too big for it,any reccomendations as to where icould probably get the real thing,sorry for all the questions,but thanks for the quick reply,

best regards,Clive.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NATO-CRUSADER-MUG-STOVE-FREE-58-Patt-WATER-BOTTLE_W0QQitemZ120352158767QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item120352158767&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting

this looks good, i would message seller and check that the water bottle is an osprey, ie shiny and not the dull colour that the el cheapo's are like

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Yup i agree also,
Webtex anything is in my opinion are just cheap copies of better gear, even the pouches and clothing seem pretty poor.

Webtex are a relatively new company but BCB has been around since way back in the 1980's and have always produced excellent soldier proof gear! some of which is on issue today!

I've had the BCB Crusader mug, cooker, 58" bottle etc for years and never had any problems, also they all fit snugly! it's worth making a mini coke can stove that fit's in the bottom.

as for the handle thing, the handle should be horizontal for the stove to work effectively, and Vertical when stored (if in a pouch).

if you place the metal mug on the burning stove without the handle thing, the stove will not get enough heat and may go out. it is in laymans terms a spacer.

don't worry about "silly questions" we all had to ask them once!:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
IMHO the Webtex stuff is VFM - but is the cheaper option - pay your money and take your choice...
I prefer either mug on a Hobo stove TBH...I donyt like hexi much in any cook system!

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
BCB are as mad as hell that Webtex are doing them and are persuing legal redress!

Really?! On what grounds are they able to? The Webtex mug is a different shape, and the stove is also a bit different. Do they have some general patent or something?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Gunmart paying you advertising too, very nice LOL

TBH everything gets copied at some point, sometimes of lesser quality, sometimes greater, the basis is you get what you pay for.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Nah it is just ethics (journos do have em:eek: )
They paid for my time in testing the stuff and for the article to be written, it is only fair that I let them have exclusivty for a short while at least!:eek:
Once that issue is past history than I will feel justified in selling(or giving away) second serial rights!;)

jelkel25

Jan 13, 2015
Hertfordshire
Well, many moons later Web-Tex no longer make the cook sets (although they are still pretty cheaply available at present) and as one of its few fans I thought I'd commit heresy here today. Back when this thread started the PCBs in plastics controversy was only just getting a head of steam although the aluminium/alzheimer's thing was already well known.
This set is very heavy steel (what more do you anti aluminium crowd want?) and even if it isn't as sturdy as BCBs set, it's more steel than most people will get through in a lifetime (unless you just abuse it). OK, only Web-Tex Osprey style bottles seem to fit in the cup (for stacking), my old 58 pattern water bottle doesn't fit and as is common knowledge the Web-Tex bottles leak, yes this is all true but (here's the heresy) Osprey water bottles often make the water taste like its been fermenting in the sun in an old car tyre if the weather is anything above -0. Yeah, I said it!! No, its not just the knock off's either. In BCBs defence I've never used the newest versions so they might have improved things though I'm not holding my breath (or parting with my cash). Now, here's the thing, the newer Nalgene style kidney shaped water bottles fit very well into the cup section for stacking in the Web-Tex cook set and so you get most of the benefits of the Crusader system without drinking the old car tyre water, everything fits together snugly, without rattling around and I have a great little cook set for the very reasonable sum of £11.99. I say this cook set was just before its time and would have been a great addition to your kit for any fans of Kidney shaped Nalgene bottles, people can contemplate this while sitting in the sun drinking their car tyre water this summer, Web-Tex Warrior cooking unit, R.I.P.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE