Bark tanning question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hartung

Nov 27, 2005
Europe
Hi!
I’ve got a very specific question to the experienced bark tanner. I’m about to make my first steps bark tanning goat hides.

I’ve had three hides in a oak-fir liquor for four weeks.

After those 4 weeks, a cut of the neck of the hide looks like this. The piece on the right side is to show the colour of the grain side.
The question is: is this hide tanned through? If so, why would you say it is tanned through?
32ndday.jpg

The next pic shows the same piece of hide after drying. The hides thickness now is only ¼ of the wet hide. The once light brown coloured hide centre has become very dark coloured after drying.
The next question is: what is this dark coloured centre? Is this ok for a tanned through hide? (have never seen this with commercially chrome tanned leather.
darkcentre.jpg

Today, a guy told me that to see, if it’s tanned through, I should throw a small piece if that hide in boiling water. If it curls immediately, it is not tanned through. If it doesn’t curl, it is tanned. I did this test and the hide did not curl. On the last pic you can see the piece of hide to the left. And here as well, the dark centred part can clearly be seen.
Last question: anybody ever heard of that boiling test? How reliable is this test? And once more: what is this dark coloured center.
boiledhide.jpg

So, that are a lot of question. Sorry for the long story but I’m really interested to know what it is.

Thanks for any help!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE