Bamboo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Has anyone tried bamboo shoots? Ideally for plants grown in the UK or temperate areas?

I've got a few plants that were chosen for their edible shoots as well as for canes for the garden. After a few years establishing themselves they finally seem to be putting up enough shoots to try to eat a few. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried them and what they thought of them.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I always think they taste a bit like sewage to be honest. Even in a curry I can't shake the undertones of dubious water.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Are those from a tin or fresh? I don't mind the tinned ones but they do have a certain taste/smell that porbably is more to do with their processing than the actual plant.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Not sure but I've had them from various people and places in this country (UK) and Asia and the flavour has always been similar. But that's just my subjective experience.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We tried out first home grown bamboo shoot at the weekend, boiled in plain water for a few minutes. It tasted quite pleasant, not bitter at all and a bit like a mild asparagus spear. Certainly edible and worth eating.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE