Bags & tent opinions wanted

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
So just picked up two bags from tesco today. the comfort mummy http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-2775.aspx and the microlite mummy http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-2384.aspx. Got them heavily discounted for under a tenner the pair so am willing to watch them fall apart on the first use if needs be. From unpacking both they seem okish bags and capable of the job needed although the compression sack on the comfort bag looks quite weak and prone to ripping.

The heavy bag will be tested this weekend however just wondering in advance if anyone has used either of these before and what they thought about them? as far as the compression sack goes, how well did it hold up or am i better just getting an old mod jungle compression sack?

Also looking for a one man budget tent to help reduce general weight carried and currently have my eye on a Gelert solo http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Solo...sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1323777443&sr=1-1 anyone used them before? I know the rocky model is a stand up bit of kit but not sure about their lower budget ranges.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've been trying out a one man gelert tent a fair bit this year, i'd say that mine's a slightly older model than the one you linked to, but pretty much the same tent. i've been getting on pretty well with it, it's not quite as long as i'd like it to be (i'm about 5'11") but it's not so short as to be a problem. it's really light, and can be made a tiny bit lighter if you like simply by removing the split ring/pin pole connectors on the bottom of the tent, the poles fit really quite nicely into the webbing tabs that held the split rings, i guess it saves about 50grams or so. in fact, without pegs it's pretty much bang on the same weight as my issue bivi bag and silnylon tarp, the tent packs down a bit smaller too. only minor gripe that i have so far is that it can get a little bit damp from condensation on the inside, especially when it's cold, but i suppose that's more of a gripe about tents in general rather than this specific model. i picked mine up on a bit of a whim really, it was only £9 in the sale in my local glamping shop, and didn't use it for a good few years, it's only when i came across it as i was moving house earlier on this year that i thought i'd try it out, i'm really glad that i did.

HTH

stuart

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
i've been trying out a one man gelert tent a fair bit this year, i'd say that mine's a slightly older model than the one you linked to, but pretty much the same tent. i've been getting on pretty well with it, it's not quite as long as i'd like it to be (i'm about 5'11") but it's not so short as to be a problem. it's really light, and can be made a tiny bit lighter if you like simply by removing the split ring/pin pole connectors on the bottom of the tent, the poles fit really quite nicely into the webbing tabs that held the split rings, i guess it saves about 50grams or so. in fact, without pegs it's pretty much bang on the same weight as my issue bivi bag and silnylon tarp, the tent packs down a bit smaller too. only minor gripe that i have so far is that it can get a little bit damp from condensation on the inside, especially when it's cold, but i suppose that's more of a gripe about tents in general rather than this specific model. i picked mine up on a bit of a whim really, it was only £9 in the sale in my local glamping shop, and didn't use it for a good few years, it's only when i came across it as i was moving house earlier on this year that i thought i'd try it out, i'm really glad that i did.

I've seen the aforementioned in action, and I'm extremely jealous of Stu's £9 bargain abode.:D

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I've seen the aforementioned in action, and I'm extremely jealous of Stu's £9 bargain abode.:D

it is a cracking little tent isn't it steve. it finally got a bit of weather on my last weekend trip too, lots of wind and a fair amount of rain, still didn't bother with any guylines, and it did a superb job. as i said, when it's cold outside the condensation does build up a little on the inside, bit i think that's just tents in general. hopefully either late december at shining cliff or mid january at super sausage should give me an idea of what it's like in some proper cold.

stuart

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
I bought one of these about a year ago. At 6 foot 2" its a bit of a squeeze but not unuseable by any means. It packs down very small and fits both my pro-force 33L and M39 rucksacks easily without stretching the sack fabric. Assembly and pack-away is literally 2 minutes. Its not a tent for sufferers of confined spaces (as an ex-coal face miner its not a prob) as it is fairly tight space-wise. I cant get any kit in with me at either the head or foot of the tent so have to leave it outside in rucksack/drybag - all in all for the money (i think i paid about £25.00) its value for money and SO portable both weight and size-wise that the negatives are IMO outweighed by the advantages. Access is from a full zip side (one n the inner and one on the outer) and is easy enough for me to get into even after a night on the beer. I reckon you could have a nice little set up under a tarp for all your needs (not tried it yet as i just thought of it, but i will!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE