Backwoods Survival School - Backwoodsman Course

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Pics from our recent attendance with the Backwoods team.

apologies for the not very detailed write up....hard work using a phone....

Fantastic time, I'll even with the wet weather..which gave it a more serious and realistic feeling.
from our initial phone enquire to our departure we are chuffed to bit.
Sadly didn't have much time for pics due to paying afternoon and wet weather..
The tab in... We took it in turns to carry a makeshift stretcher including a dead weight.. We were taught 'practicle.... Not theory' how to make, carry and negotiate obsticles, from gates, barb fences, banking and woods...
4e97414a-3b0d-4550.jpg

Patrick appeared from nowhere during the tab in.... Introducing his sen and highlighting our need to be more aware of our surroundings.. We were Gutted to have missed.... Shall i say.. Treats! :eek:

swmbo using an abseiling technique that is very easy and useful for decending or acending steep bankings, especially with bergans....
4e97414a-55c4-1524.jpg

4e97414a-5605-3c36.jpg

4e97414a-5628-34f8.jpg

4e97414a-5652-2658.jpg

this was during a foraging and shelter material gathering excercise.

we did some game prep involving, tufty, brer,tommy(squirrel, rabbit, trout & pigeon) and percy.... different, simple techniques leading us towards dinner
4e97414a-569b-0f69.jpg

4e97414a-5759-a018.jpg

4e97414a-5768-98bc.jpg
4e97414a-5777-8b0c.jpg

4e97414a-580d-fae1.jpg

4e97414a-583e-b573.jpg

4e97414a-5862-fc5d.jpg

4e97414a-587e-3e5a.jpg

4e97414a-589b-fb05.jpg

our shelter......
4e97414a-579d-8c7d.jpg

4e97414a-57da-7638.jpg

ive more pics to add when swmbo is here.

this was a fantastic weekend, in great company, with a great team. Patricks style of teaching is first class, showing, patience, humour and discipline when needed. the explantions,demonstrations and supervision when we were hands on, shown by all his team was first rate.
we are so chuffed we have booked on another two courses and hopefully next year we'll be attending the 5 day course and eventually.....norway?????

i could go into detail, but again its hard on my phone. rest assured the Backwoods team give you everything you need and nothing you dont. its a great mix between ancestral and modern techniques that will give us the confidence to not only survive , but to flourish in the earth mothers garden.

now im packing for next week and might just get some time in practicing my 'poachers stick' technique ;)

we will do our best to get more pics and a proper write up next time.
Tbc...
Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funny, that looks like home :)

Glad it was a good course, especially with the weather being so 'changeable'. If you're both going back for more, it must have been :D

Thanks for the write up and the photos :cool:

cheers,
M

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Funny, that looks like home :)

Glad it was a good course, especially with the weather being so 'changeable'. If you're both going back for more, it must have been :D

Thanks for the write up and the photos :cool:
If I could is move over border, great land, great history, great folks :thumbup:
cheers,
M

Oh hell yeah to all of above :cool:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
To show us how to improvise, the need for teamwork, awareness of situation, surroundings etc and consideration for the injured. We were later taught how to combine two rucksacs and make another form of stretcher, this time with a live patient and a 4 person lift. I've some pics to load when I get chance. Also these stretchers can be used to transport heavy loads to n from camp.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Oky doky. Was thinking of going on one of Patricks courses, not sure about the need for the stretcher stuff though but that's personal to me. If your in the **** and can't improvise some kind of stretcher on the hoof then I'd go back to me books I think.( this is not a critism of Backwoods. I fully understand that providers have to provide for all levels of skill ).

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
It just made the walk in more interesting than just a walk in. It was before we even had the pleasure of meeting him..

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Feb 6, 2012
Manchester
Hey there, i'm a newbie & former forum lurker & have just booked on the Backwoodsman course for a couple of weeks time so very glad to read your glowing review, thanks.. Can't wait :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you build the same type of shelter in every season ?

Small and tight when it's cold, but at least situpable in when it's mild and wet, gives you a dry space to work/chill out/store stuff. You can always have it face a central fire so that radiant heat warms it.

This isn't defensive, simply curious; do folks not make different types ?

cheers,
Toddy

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Do you build the same type of shelter in every season ?

Small and tight when it's cold, but at least situpable in when it's mild and wet, gives you a dry space to work/chill out/store stuff. You can always have it face a central fire so that radiant heat warms it.

This isn't defensive, simply curious; do folks not make different types ?

cheers,
Toddy

You've got it Mary :thumbup:
Nath, we had roughly two hours, and the choice of design was upto us. Considering it was raining constantly during the build, (day after pics before de-construction) and not having much time to gather, prepare and construct, we were pretty chuffed with it. Room enough to live in for our needs and dry enough. There was one leak....on my side enough that I couldn't sleep past 5am, but sue slept till she was woke. Dry and comfy !
There's quite a difference from ....saying " shall we build a shelter " to....."we need to build a shelter"
It's not like the advanced course, where you go off into a large area and have to plan and act well enough to be comfortable for days. Having the pic of natures natural shelters or abundance of materials. If we were working as individuals, we would have used a different approach.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
In the typical central Scottish summer climate, one of the main concerns of shelter design is "Does the roof slope enough to shed all the rain?"

Also, another +1 for Patrick's courses.
I went on one a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE