Backhill of the Bush Bothy

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
A couple of weeks ago my friends and I went on our annual bothy trip, usually gives the boys who don't camp a chance to come out and play and it's ideal because you don't need much kit. For some reason it always happens in the winter but hey ho that actually makes my trip as its my favourite time to camp.

Anyway the forrestry commission are currently operating in the area so the bothy was filled with wood although it was soaked so the fire wasn't the best but enough to warm the room considerably, and I was sitting with the vapalux so I was toasty :lmao: the best part of the trip however was opening the doors for the first time and discovering not just piles of wood, not just a tidy bothy but LEATHER COUCHES!! Some kind soul has put a 3 piece suite in the bothy in amazing condition, if it was anyone on here then a big thank you from us all!!

Heres the pics

c0cc2f3b.jpg

f9e94feb.jpg

55e66937.jpg

Sitting chilling until......

b9105a10.jpg

The dog soldiers showed up!!

d54de924.jpg

8b7731f7.jpg

My lightweight cooking setup, making cheese, bacon and tomato tortelonni pasta with aribiata sauce, certainly tasted better than the pot noodles and crisps that were being passed about :lmao:

7a281345.jpg

dca75941.jpg

2ab51c6f.jpg

Some snow in the morning made for some beautiful views :)

67ffa49a.jpg

2c3035aa.jpg

Leaving it tidy for the next lucky visitors.

d66307be.jpg

The lads on the way home, there's another landy out of shot btw just in case anyone was wondering if we all fit in :lmao:

Hope everyone enjoys the pics and I really hope to get back soon!

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Nice one Scott looks like a home from home ,the fourth pic down looks like me after a night on the jack D ,in fact it just looks like me full stop :lmao:

Jason

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have been to many bothy,s buddy but never one with a leather suite lol, That would have been home from home mate nice one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D Very posh..........but what a great way to find a home for the old suite :D

Jason, we didnae like t'say anything............... :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing :)

cheers,
M

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Sneaky bottle o tonic there lol ;) Looks like ye had a crackin time though. Geez a shout next time yer heading up there and i'll bring a barrel of home brew ;)

Last edited:

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Sneaky bottle o tonic there lol ;) They spent 25k doing up the backhill of the bush recentley. New roof etc. It's one of the best bothys in Scotland at the moment, just hope it stays that way. Looks like ye had a crackin time though. Geez a shout next time yer heading up there and i'll bring a barrel of home brew ;)

Haha aye the tonic always flows well in the middle of nowhere :lmao:

I can certainly see where they spent the money as it really is great inside now, the only disadvantage of this bothy though is that it can be driven to and this can lead to it being left in a god awful state in some of the summer months so fingers crossed that doesn't happen next year as there has been a lot of time invested in improving this bothy.

Homebrew sounds good, although I believe there might have been some there with us already :lmao:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
nice one wee man, good to see you roughing it right up there with the best of them, Scotties minimalist gear list, back pack, ultra light sleeping bag, ti cook set and yes a 3 piece leather suite. lol no wonder you struggled on the West Highland Way mate, carrying that couch on your back up cronic hill couldnt have been fun.....

I think i will have to blow up that photo to full size to see if there is a woodlore badge on it, then i know it was you who bought it lol....

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
nice one wee man, good to see you roughing it right up there with the best of them, Scotties minimalist gear list, back pack, ultra light sleeping bag, ti cook set and yes a 3 piece leather suite. lol no wonder you struggled on the West Highland Way mate, carrying that couch on your back up cronic hill couldnt have been fun.....

I think i will have to blow up that photo to full size to see if there is a woodlore badge on it, then i know it was you who bought it lol....

No really fulfilled the ultralight dream mate, there was a bergen full of cr*p including my ultralight 2.2kg sleeping bag lol! If you can find the bergen then you'll not be surprised to know that there's a woodlore badge on that!

Wonder how much a leather couch would be from woodlore though that would be an interesting concept, 'made from the finest cows fed only beer and free to roam without barbed wire causing imperfections on the hide' that would probably be enough justification for Uncle Ray to add a few 0's onto the price of a normal couch lol!

The place looks magic - home from home - & no midges!!! - a wee bag of house coal from that garage in dalmellington would have sorted your fire for you - we were camping at loch doon at the weekend & were very glad we bought it for the barbee - wee bottle o' house red in there as well -I like that landy, serious looking swb - Nice one.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Just been reminded by one of the members that this bothy can become a bit 'rowdy' at times as its so close to the road so you inevitably get the 'young teams' up there causing havoc.

Just in case anyone ever plans to go sometime it's worth remembering that it's an open shelter and anyone can come in at anytime, and some are not as welcoming as others. If you're ever planning a trip here it's worth having a backup plan although there is about a million places to camp. Don't want anyone travelling far and being confronted by the young team :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE