Atlatl

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I went on a bow making course a couple of weeks ago. As well as having some impressive looking bows there, they also had an atlatl/spear thrower.
It was easy to use, but difficult to master. Anyway, I thought I'd make one of my own.
And here it is:

4112046154_220b5f8dc1.jpg

(I've been having problems linking to Flickr, so not sure if the picture will come up)
It's made from yew with an antler nock held in place with a piece of dowel, and leather wrapped around the handle. The decorations were burnt-in to give it a primitive look.
These things are dead easy to make and provide great fun - really impressive to see how simple they work. You can lob an arrow/spear as far as a bow can shoot. But doing it accurately is the real mastery.

Mmm...picture still not coming up. Any idea why that might be? Could it be related to the recent server problems? I was having trouble linking to images just before it all went Pete Tong. Mmm, how frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Cool I like it.
I've made two or three I will try and post pics of them.
Like all things you have to spend some time on working out how to throw them right.
Thanks for your time.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
4112046154_220b5f8dc1.jpg

There you go, if you go onto flickr and right click on the image itself and then click "copy image URL" then wrap that in the usual
that seems to work :)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
The spears are more like large arrows.
Between 3 and 4 feet long, complete with flights. The only important thing is that there is no nock - the end of the arrow has a concave depression on the end where it sits on the atlatl. A very simple design.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I made my spears from 5ft long half inch bamboo. Added metal tip and fletching (worked OK w/o fletching as well).
Now I just need a lot more practice.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Good thread.

I guess the atlatl became obsolete in cultures that developed the bow, though IIRC Australian native peoples only used the atlatl or woomera.

I think the atlatl is a much neglected art and would like to learn more. Could be good project at a meet.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
I love it.

Making one is an art.

Using one correctly is an art in itself.

Hitting the target consistantly is an art I would like to master eventually.

Keep at it as you have made a cracking atlatl. Make up some flint tipped darts to go with it.

Cheers

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE