Assistance

S

Simo

Dear Fellow Bushcrafters,
I am intending on visiting England for two weeks on Fri 22nd September with the intention of the trip being totally dedicated to the art of Bushcraft.I am a keen Bushcraft enthuiast and unfortunately most of my skills have only been used here in Ireland.I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or recommendations as to locations and facilities available.Also I would greatly appreciate some information with regards to lighting fires as over here in Ireland it is illegal without prior ermission for the relevant authorities.All suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Hi Simo,
Well, if you want your experience to be as easy as possible, I'd suggest you change your destination to North of the Border. Land access rights, including firelighting, are much more favourable in Scotland, there are plenty of really nice places to go. If you search the forum you'll find plenty of posts on the subject - sadly lots of people in England looking for a place to go!

Did you have anything particular in mind, or are you just looking for a nice bit of mixed woodland to set up camp and tinker about?

Cheers,
Neil

S

Simo

Cheers Neil,
Thats definitely something worth knowing regarding the land rights.I was planning on spending a few days here and a few days there,just setting up camp for a while and doing a bit of walking and trekking.I have seen a few discussion boards regarding places to go and will look further into it.Can you suggest anywhere in Scotland???Would appreciate any recommendations.

Cheers,
Simon

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Simo said:
Cheers Neil,
Thats definitely something worth knowing regarding the land rights.I was planning on spending a few days here and a few days there,just setting up camp for a while and doing a bit of walking and trekking.I have seen a few discussion boards regarding places to go and will look further into it.Can you suggest anywhere in Scotland???Would appreciate any recommendations.

Cheers,
Simon

Well, certainly in Scotland there are plenty of places to go. My favourite areas are on the west coast and the islands but some places are a bit devoid of trees. Fort William and is a good place to start when exploring that area - really geared up for the Ben Nevis climbers. just get an OS map, pick a spot and off you go. Oban's the gateway to the islands. Mull is an essential stop as far as I'm concerned :)
Lots of members here met at Loch Achray a couple of times and enjoyed it- hopefully one of the organisers can supply you with more info. There are also a few threads on here discussing the difference in access rights between Scotland and England. Essentially you can camp and light fires responsibly almost anywhere, but it is courteous to ask landowner's permission and they have the right to move you on if they have good reason.

I'm lucky enough to have a few tame places to go in Perthshire because I know the landowners but they're my own secret places, sorry ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE