Ash Kuksa II

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Having finished "work" early today i set to and finished off another Kuksa ive been making, this one like the last is carved from rock hard seasoned Ash, whilst it's seriously hard going carving the seasoned Ash, i think it's worth it in all honesty as the grain patterns you get are incredible, sure green wood would have been so much easier, but at the time i didnt have any fresh cut Ash here that was suitable for a Kuksa, not only that i had the other half of the log to use from the last Kuksa i carved.

This one has a deeper bowl than the previous one and a totally different handle shape, also i elected to leave some of the bark on the bottom of the bowl, just for artistic effect

DSCF3711.jpg

DSCF3695.jpg

DSCF3701.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers mate, got more Ash down here than we know what to do with, the stuff is slowly taking over.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Shame. Looking for some tips on carving and the last few bits you have posted have been inspirational.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks for the kind comment, appreciate it

I looked at the gathering and then realised im already going to a local event that weekend anyway, apart from the fact i cant afford to pay £190.00 to go camping for a weekend (family ticket, the boys would kill me if i went on my own), i know i could go for a day, but even so it turns into an expensive day when you factor in petrol and the like and at the moment i can ill afford it im afraid.

For a good carving course in your neck of the woods look up Robin Wood http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/, well i say your neck of the woods, Derbyshire, but closer to you than i am - lol, but, if you are ever down this way on hols or something, give me a shout

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Thanks for the kind comment, appreciate it

I looked at the gathering and then realised im already going to a local event that weekend anyway, apart from the fact i cant afford to pay £190.00 to go camping for a weekend (family ticket, the boys would kill me if i went on my own), i know i could go for a day, but even so it turns into an expensive day when you factor in petrol and the like and at the moment i can ill afford it im afraid.

For a good carving course in your neck of the woods look up Robin Wood http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/, well i say your neck of the woods, Derbyshire, but closer to you than i am - lol, but, if you are ever down this way on hols or something, give me a shout

Thanks for that. Will deffo have a look out for that.
Like he asked above, how do you finish yours?
The bits I have done have just been oiled after sanding but like some pics I have seen I don't get the high sheen.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
this one is sanded down to 600 grit inside and out, i dampen the bowl to raise the grain after each sanding, let it dry (minutes) and sand it down and repeat that process until the grain no longer raises up, then i oil the outside only of the kuksa, bowl or whatever it is with pure tung oil, the inside of the bowl will get oiled with coffee, sloe gin, blackberry gin or whatever it is i have with me, sometimes i will oil the inside of the bowl with the tung oil as well, depends what it's going to be used for.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers Baggy, will do on the sycamore, looking at what we have to clear this winter there should be quite a few tons of Ash & Sycamore up there

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE