Ardnamurchan

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi all - I don't usually post in this section but here are a few photos from my geology field trip to Ardnamurchan peninsula.

yours truly doing a bit of posing:
dscn1836rv.jpg

dscn1831.jpg

the view
dscn1839.jpg

dscn1850z.jpg

Ben Hiant - you can really see it but two of my mates are half way up.
dscn1851f.jpg

dscn1847w.jpg

dscn1834k.jpg

certainly a tough trip - there are more photos but they aren't suitable for here, unless you want to see rocks and drunken students :p

On the ferry crossing there was a gent driving a metallic blue ford ranger pick up. he had obviously been on a stalk as his rifle was on the passenger seat and he had a deer in the back.

Andy

Last edited:

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Theost westerly point on mainland UK. We used to holiday in Kilchoan every year when I was a kid. I remember rain, wind, cold, and a bloody great time. And a white sand beach that was (probably still is) amazing.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
thanks for the memory surface, last visit would be 1974 to a bike rally at Kilchoan on a Honda 500 four, way up-passed loch Lomond-Glen Coe-Ballachulish ferry-Corran ferry-Kilchoan. I remember a single hand cranked petrol pump with a press bell for service and a guy wearing a butchers apron came out of the hotel to fill the tank and the whole village including the Laird turning the Saturday night into a Ceilidh.(sp?)
cheers Danny

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
certainly a tough trip - there are more photos but they aren't suitable for here, unless you want to see rocks and drunken students :p

You have met some of us! :beerchug:

The guy next doors dad is a geologist, he said that his father was always taking photos of rocks but always put something beside it for scale like a ruler, or daily object like coke can or phone, he and his sister once took a pic of a 50p on a paveing slab and forgot about it apparently he spent days trying to figure out what it was that was so intresting that he took a photo off beside the 50p :lmao:

anyway looks like a good day out :) did you wet a line in that loch ?

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
yup - we use known objects for scale too. - usually a pen, hammer ruler etc. lol.

Do you know what - I never actually thought of trying to amplify a fart! :lmao:

day trip :eek: - I wish. - we were there for a week!- can't complain too much though - apart from the constant up down up down of the hills - the trip was quite good. It was my first real mapping exercise so I learnt a lot - and the weather was fantastic!
Drunken student :D
pic4sr.jpg

Tossing a caber
pic2ok.jpg

pic1mp.jpg

A small water fall exposing a layer of sandstone and sandstone.
dscn1845l.jpg

A Dolerite plug with radial cooling joints. - what you see here is the very edge of the plug which was cooling from all directions giving a lovely radial jointing pattern.
dscn1848q.jpg

Andy

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I take it that the dolerite plug has no deep down liquid chamber and is now on the extinct list.
Last time one of these blew was at Mt st Helens, (I think) .
With devastating results.

lol indeed - this one is quite small. there is most likely a feeder dyke in the area some where. - or it could be a plume from a much deeper source.

there is a number of dykes in the area (I forget how many I mapped - probably close to 20) - the plume is of the same composition so will have been from the same event.

atb

Andy

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
yup - we use known objects for scale too. - usually a pen, hammer ruler etc. lol.

Do you know what - I never actually thought of trying to amplify a fart! :lmao:

day trip :eek: - I wish. - we were there for a week!- can't complain too much though - apart from the constant up down up down of the hills - the trip was quite good. It was my first real mapping exercise so I learnt a lot - and the weather was fantastic!
Drunken student :D
pic4sr.jpg

Tossing a caber
pic2ok.jpg

pic1mp.jpg

A small water fall exposing a layer of sandstone and sandstone.
dscn1845l.jpg

A Dolerite plug with radial cooling joints. - what you see here is the very edge of the plug which was cooling from all directions giving a lovely radial jointing pattern.
dscn1848q.jpg

Andy
Andy, i've seen it aw noo, that stella does crazy thing's ti u, but i've never ran aboot wi a sledge hammer, it's early yit //// haa haa great fotees m8

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE