Apure and utter rip off ! ( me thinks !)

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
have you all seen the grillput compact firebowl at around £14.99 ?
if so go to ikea's home page and type in stabil steamer insert and see how alike they are for just £ 3.05 !!!!:nono::nono::nono:
do these companies think " AH bushcrafters lets skint them " ?
i bought a 1 litre leather tinder bag on line for £14.99 and today bought a side of calf leather for £6 ??? the mind boggles !
BE ALERT THERE ARE NUMBNUTS TRYING TO SKINT US OUT THERE IN THESE TURBULANT TIMES ! ( rant over )lol :):)
cheers Andrew !

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I managed 5 hot-dogs last time... But i reckon i can smash that next time! Cheers for the heads up about the card, i can chug a pint or three of coffee just to get me upwards.

You will find with any interest or hobby, someone is always around the corner waiting to shaft you with a rebrand +£10 tag.

Thank god for the net.

al.

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Nice idea, but not my call :)

I think my 50% tinge of scottish blood hates to pay over the odd's for anything... so I'll happily surf for an hour once I have something to buy, get the best price and then look for free postage.

Being half jock has its uses, and it comes with free orange sideburns!

al.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I got the firebowl half price, it's does the job and hasn't warped at all. But the steamer seems like an option - can't guarantee the heat won't do bad things to it - it's only designed for steam.

And it probably doesn't apply in this case - but sometimes paying over the odds supports a small british business or manufacturer who simply can't match the low labour costs of China, South America and Eastern Europe.

M

Last edited:

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
it gets canny hot when you steam too,and with the perferations in the steamer a constant surply of oxygen is made available ! and 5 times the price cheaper british business wants to get its house in order !

Last edited:

wolflore

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2005
Twickenham
Most places do the steamers fairly cheap, though I'm not sure how cheap you could go before they were pointless and floppy. But where do you get a good grill?

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
However much leather £6 buys you it won't cut and stitch itself for free.

If something is too expensive in your eyes you can always choose not to buy it, but don't overlook the fabrication/manufacturing side of the equation and don't assume that two similar looking items are the same either. One could very easily be made from materials that cost far more than the other yet, outwardly, they may seem more or less identical.

The buyer is always in the unique position of being able to choose whether or not to hand overt their cash...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE