I found this growing in a tree

IMG_2298.jpg
[/IMG]

Andy

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
that was my first thought,. I would have picked it for closer examination but its the only one I have found in the woods. If it is then there should be more next year :)

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
It does look like an oyster fungus - but good on you for not picking 'till sure - more, indeed, next year. :p

They're really easy to grow in stuff like straw, soft logs and even wet toilet rolls - collect some spores! :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Pleurotus dryinus, very nice picture, and a very nice tasty mushroom. It should be about the size of your hand, and the spore print is WHITE. If you are going to pick it take care not disturb the myclium [fungi roots] as this will give future crops. I have never found harvesting just the fruit body has much effect on whether it grows there next year, with this particular group, and this fungus is common. I AM NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A GOOD FIELD GUIDE, but this fungus doesn't look like any else.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
xylaria said:
Pleurotus dryinus, very nice picture, and a very nice tasty mushroom. It should be about the size of your hand, and the spore print is WHITE. If you are going to pick it take care not disturb the myclium [fungi roots] as this will give future crops. I have never found harvesting just the fruit body has much effect on whether it grows there next year, with this particular group, and this fungus is common. I AM NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A GOOD FIELD GUIDE, but this fungus doesn't look like any else.

Well...fungi don't grow mushrooms for fun! Picking it will have some effect on the fungi. Picking it if it's the only one around most certainly will; if not short term, then long term.So while I agree the mycelium lives on/relativelycommon mushroom etc.etc. I can't help but but re-iterate....if in doubt don't pick and if it's the only one don't pick it. If it gets a chance to spore there may well be more to come.After all that is why they do it! :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I went to a lichen and fungi exhibition opening recently and chatted to a few of hte experts on hand.
Two made the point that on the continent if someone comes across a growing crop of a particular fungi, they will routinely pick it all.....and there is never a shortage of fungi.
We wondered whether it might not be a bit like picking flowers to keep a plant in bloom or taking ripe pea pods to keep the plants cropping.

This isn't intended to start an arguement, but a genuine discussion.

Are we mistaken in our habit of leaving ripe mushrooms? After all, the vast, and I do mean vast, majority of the plant is underground/in the wood and will live for many years.

Cheers,
Toddy

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Was taken on a tour of Dawyck botanic gardens led by Roy Watling a few years back

The garden has recently set aside part of the woodland as a Cryptogamic Sanctuary & Reserve. The Reserve is in an old Beech plantation and it offers a unique chance to view fungi, lichens, ferns, horsetails, mosses and liverworts. It will allow the study of these lower plants and the effect they have on a habitat, particularly the way fungi recycle nutriants back into the soil. It is hoped that as the sanctuary develops new species will colonise the area.

He commented during the tour that picking or not picking fungi makes little difference , if I remember right, half of the site had been cropped and half not cropped to compare results.

http://www.britainsfinest.co.uk/gardens/gardens.cfm/searchazref/81001670DAWA

Afraid this years fungal foray was on 29 Sept so you will have to wait till next year but well worth a visit , and a chance to meet and talk to Roy Watling

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE