Any Wood turning enthusiasts can give me advice plz

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi
As title please,
I have a small hobby Clarke 900mm wood lathe and am looking for some good value for money chisels, also a chuck to fit the same, I have been trawling the net but not hundred percent sure what to get, I see some sets of chisels for sale but don't know if they are any good, plus any advice for a starter would be welcome
Kind regards
Bill

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Tools: I would say buy secondhand older tools. Chuck will depend on lathe shaft/thread size/type. Swing (Distance between) center and bed, also what type/items of turning you want to make. A four jaw chuck is harder to center than a three jaw chuck on rough rounds. A face plate can be just as useful as a chuck on some projects. Research youtube, read books, just get on and play/practice. Often a few tools like parting chisels, can be made out of old metal files etc, old wood chisels can be used with great care. I had a mate in prison and they had a wood lathe in the workshop that no one was allowed to use. There were no teachers and no sharp chisels. He got the job of prison handy man and he would collect/cut bits off of broomsticks. He ended up grinding metal nails down to make turning tools/chisels. Carboots are good places to pick up old turning tools cheap Bill.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Spend some time here http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post301390.html and read up on some of the links that are especially targetted at beginners and cover many of the common questions, then come back (over here or over there) with anything that you are still unsure about ?

Not sure I agree with some of didicoy's suggestions above re chucks, use of old files and chisels, nails etc, woodturning tools are specifically designed with long strong tangs and sufficient strength and the right tempering to make them safe to use with lathes where the rotational forces of the wood can put them under significant strain. Especially important for a beginner who hasn't yet developed good technique and tool control and an understanding of how to work safely.

Cheers, Paul

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Don't buy cheap chisels, go for proper makes like Sorby, Henry Taylor, Crown. Good quality secondhand one are worth looking for but some times can cost more than a new one. Avoid Record, I know they make good lathes but there lather chisels are utter carp.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I bought one of these last year for my Delta, good chuck and plenty of jaw options available. But you need to find out what thread size you have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE