Any Paramedics Here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I imagine that bit about "giving back" is what makes I both worthwhile and problematic. If you're willing to move elsewhere to higher pay and better working conditions it would be easier, but would you till get that same sense of satisfaction from helping that you would working at home?

The Ambulance trusts are struggling to maintain staff across the country....

Just to be clear, I meant if he were willing to move abroad. That said, I suspect that other than pay and understaffing, most of the problems you named are universal (I've had loads of experience on night shift, though not as a paramedic, and yeah, it truly sux unless you're a nihgtbird)

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
The Ambulance trusts are struggling to maintain staff across the country.of the 23 newly trained paramedics that joined over the past year 2015 15 have already left ,half the problem is young people joining and suddenly realising that shift work hurts and an awful lot of thing we get sent to don't require and ambulance at all.and generally speaking the public are rude abusive .....we do meet a lot of nice people...and what ever the issue evryone is looking for some one to blame because it could not have been my fault I got steaming drunk and fell over ...

The behaviour of some people to those that are there only to help them makes me want to spit, despicable behaviour that just ramps up stress levels in what is already a quite stressful job.
John Fenna said above "I have always breathed a sigh of relief when the paramedic has taken over from my 1st Aid attempts!"
And I concur, as a first aider you get on with what is in front of you to the best of your ability, then you get to handover to someone better qualified with loads more experience. It is a huge relief. Then your body starts to deal with the adrenalin rush.
To be out there doing that everyday has got to be draining enough without all the other detritus that is thrust upon them.
All our emergency crews have my utmost respect.

Rob.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I have always had an interest to become a paramedic after working in minor injuries and trauma units and had several failed attempts to get in the traditional route via Ambulance service as a ECA and work upward in the past 22 years as a HCA in the NHS.

[FONT=&quot]Finally got a place at Portsmouth Uni to study the Bsc Paramedic science course in September and can't wait to start my change of career. Although I will be the oldest student on the course but it's something I've always wanted to do.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Reactions: ManFriday4

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Only few more weeks left of my first year of the 3-year Bsc Paramedic Science course. The course is tough for an old git like me but if it were easy, everyone would be Paramedics. Portsmouth is a great Uni and SCAS have great staff willing to help the students with problems and make the class teaching more realistic by putting it onto practice on the job.

TEE DEE: you have PM.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I always looked forward to the "mature" uni students.
They are driven by a different set of intentions from those of younger students.
Congrats, Grendel. Grind it out. Your endurance is serving you well.

Swampy99

Jun 8, 2022
Australia
Hi. Been away from the forum for years. I'm a paramedic of 20 years. Started in Essex in 02 stayed for 8 years then moved to Australia now working for Queensland Ambulance service after they came over and did an international recruitment. The job is basically the same as working for the NHS but not as many opportunities to do other roles outside of front-line paramedicine but some beautiful places to work. I've just completed a 2 year posting to Fraser Island. Also just completed a Grad Cert in healthcare in the remote and extreme environments with Uni Tasmania. good course if you are interested in wilderness medicine.
Swampy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE