Another Bivvi question...

haydenw

Mar 25, 2012
Nottingham
Hi guys,

Apologies as this has probably been done to death but i've a question on a couple of bivvis and wonder if anyone has any experience with them they'd care to share.

I'm after getting a hooped bivvy - (price being i'd like to spend as little as possible (who wouldn't!).

First up is the Dutch Hooped Bivvi bag - £79.99 @ military mart
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=1882

Second is the Aqua-Quest Hooped Bivvi - £79.90 @ Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Quest-...TF8&colid=1406DUFSDHTQ2&coliid=I1XJI7EAB87EXR

If anyone has any other suggestions i'd be happy to listen and also if you know where i can pick up one of the above cheaper from that'd be more than welcome too!

I'm planning on using the bivvi during the spring time with a down bag so guess condensation maybe a consideration for the bag.

Thanks in advance,

Hayden.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Army surplus gore tex bag £35.
Rig a small tarp, costs under a tenner. (depending on how space age you want the material to be)

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
USGI bivvy and ping ping ball or similar, then you can pull it away from your face with a little paracord or use a tarp as it takes you fancy. Having said that I have always liked the look of the dutch hooped bivvy

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
I can't find specs on the first one
But the second one is nowhere near breathable enough to be completely enclosed in, or at least I wouldn't!
Normal goretex is breathable to 15000 g/m(squared)/day
The orange one you linked to is breathable to 3000 g/m(squared)/day
I would have said that the least i would sleep in would be the 15000 of the goretex, for an enclosed bivi like that
All this may be wrong as I may be getting my figures mixed up, so please don't quote me on the above but I hope this has helped
Ben

Sent using the force

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
It may be a bit out of your price range but a few years ago I bought a used Terra Nova Jupiter single hoop bivi on eBay for £120. Before then I'd used the Brit army GorTex which was ok but I wanted something a bit more watertight. The Jupiter is bombproof and comfortable. I've used it on Pen-y-fan in 60mph winds, Fan Gyhirych in thick mist and many different woodlands in the pouring rain. I've never had a problem with condensation or water leaks. The only problem I have with it is that when used with the hoop and pegs it is a bugger to get in to. It has a zip along the hoop which drops down the midge mesh and "door". You have to sit non these and wriggle yourself down in to the bag. Not the easiest for the more rotund chap! Especially in.the rain or when you store bits and pieces in the head end as I tend to do. Other than.that I can't fault it. It's well worth the money.

As an aside I keep my Thermarest mat and sleeping bag inside my bivi and roll them up together in a long & narrow storage bag with compression straps. I find this is a great way to store and carry the sleeping system. When.storing I release the straps and let the roll uncompress. When carrying I tighten the straps.and it becomes an easy to carry cylinder that can be.strapped to any part of my rucksack.that's convenient. When I get to camp I shake it out and can have the bivi pegged out, mat inflated and kip bag lofted in less than 2 minutes. This was really useful one night when I got to the gap by Fan-y-big around midnight and was tucked up nice and warm while my companion was still struggling with this ultra lightweight tent! :)

Stroller

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 27, 2012
London
I always prefer the poncho & bivy tarp.
http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Khyam-VSS-Waterproof-Ultralight-Bivi-sku52415303.asp
Bivy designers never give you space for your rucksack or to brew up in the rain.
I've used the above bag frequently with just a single season bag and been fine. It all packs down to around 5 litres.
A bivy adds about 5 degrees to your sleeping bags rating.
A three quarter size self inflating slid into your bevy will go a long way to a good nights sleep.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
i have only used one bivvy so far and that was a goretex event lite (thats the venting when wet fabric too) Rab Alpine bivvy.

When its dry it works fantastically well
When its wet or icy it is less effective
After it has been wet the need to close the hood means condensation and heat depleates the water repellant finish, almost steams it off by the head and feet.
Also the water repellant finish is seriously degraded by wet packing, rubbing against things when wet, being mashed into the floor when wet, rolling and folding when wet etc.
Works fine when dry then depending on the care you give it, becomes water absorbing between 1 and 4 soakings and requires retreating. Last time i carried a nickwax spray gun for retreating , especially the hardest hit areas ie head feet and edges.
In my opinion they should only be used with a tarp and kept dry. That way they shouldn't need treating for a year, and not with an enclosed head. Goretex is fine but it doesn't vent enough moisture to cope with hot breath and wasn't designed to be mashed into the floor.
I think a stand alone bivvy needs to be hooped with actual vents to cope with breath or used with a head tarp and made from waterproof material, as bivvying is hardly the least intensive use of equipment.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Andy woodsman

Sep 15, 2006
Herefordshire
I have used a variety of Bivvi bags (over 10 different makes and designs), including the Dutch army Carinthia bag. Hooped bivvis tend to have very little height and I find them very claustrophobic, even though I don't normally have this problem, particularly as I like a good support under my head. The Dutch bag is absolutely bomb proof and certainly a very good design - I had mine modifed to put three loops for cord along the top so that I could raise the top and entrance for extra height and airflow (modified for a very small price by http://www.llwynonsaddlery.co.uk/index.php/Map.html). It's not a light or small bag and I have passed it on now.

Best sleeping arrangement I have used (for over 25 years now all around the world, all tempretures and weather conditions) is an original Gortex bag with no poles, just under a tarp and on top of a thick kip mat - the only places I wouldn't use this is the jungle (hammock) and very insect infested places, where I use a very light tent with insect mesh. The only thing I change is a to add a suitable sleeping bag. I have rarely had a bad nights sleep, provided I rig the tarp to stop the wind blowing on my face!

Regards
Andy (DofE Gold Award Leader / ex Army)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE