And another one...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
null_zpsa98ce555.jpg

My wife doesn't like this one but it provides good ground cover

I found this too... any ideas (the one next to the silverweed)?

null_zpsa71a1db5.jpg

Nice to see how diverse the plant life is, must be a good thing even if the use isn't immediately apparent

Last edited:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Second one is Lady's Mantle (alchemilla​​). There are lots of different subspecies though, so can be quite difficult to ID exactly.
It does have a tendency to take over somewhat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lady's Mantle is a lovely plant.....until it kind of goes nuclear and spreads itself around :sigh: It's a herb, and has many uses though. The water in the centre of the leaves is rather special; it's called guttation and it's one of those waters used for esoteric matters.

M

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Not convinced it's guttation, more likely to be the lotus effect (i.e. captured dew/rain)

What is the water used for? Hippie sh*t?

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Did you have violets growing there earlier in the year?
After they have finished flowering they tend to put on a lot of large leafy growth. Several violet patches that I passed on my afternoon dog walk look like the patch shown in your first picture.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Don't think so; coltsfoot puts up flowers before leaves, and the leaves are downy white underneath (dried it makes good tinder as well as the basis for most herbal tobaccos). The leaves of the coltsfoot in my garden are ....do you mind those old kind of shell shaped fruit spoons ? the ones with the almost flat edges to the curves ? they're a bit like that.

http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/C/Coltsfoot/Coltsfoot.htm

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE