An owl landed on my head!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I've had them pass my head very very near but never had one land on it, have you checked the back of your neck and jacket/jumper to see if it left you a calling card? Just joking.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Loving all the comments :)
@Paul B- Ravens are great to watch, very clever. I like watching them stalk walkers on lunchbreak, how they spot a molecule of dropped cheese from 2000ft up is amazing
@ BTW - Much wiser, I'll be wearing a leather hat from now on to stargaze.
@Ronnie - Thats a close encounter I don't want! What a story, i bet your friend dropped some ballast.
@ Sniper- Haha! I did check in my hood for a recycled mouse.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Ever since I first saw Twin peaks, owls freak me out. Here's how I would have handled the situation:

6110457892_9f29258145_b.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was hit on the head by an eagle owl once at a falconry display. It was doing a low pass over the heads of a load of kids, only I happened to be there too and am a lot taller than an 8 year old. The wing smacked me in the head. Didn't bother the owl, but left a bruise on me. Great memory though.

Alamo

May 4, 2009
Lancashire
Some nice encounters there.

I've experienced quite a few close encounters with a variety of birds of prey myself during my time.

The most recent was about 6 weeks ago at Yesnaby on Orkney. I was sat just below the top of a cliff face admiring the view when a Hen Harrier swooped up from below and landed within 18 inches of my face. It was 3 or 4 seconds before it realised I was there, then it was away again at breakneck speed - a fantastic bird.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE