An hour in my local woodland

Jul 6, 2009
birmingham
Hi all

I've been a member for a while but I haven't posted anything so this will be my first.
Just spent an hour roaming around looking for wild edibles plants, berries, fungi etc. I've only started to take interest in foraging recently so for now I'm only looking and taking pictures I want to be 100% sure before eating anything, this is what I found. if anyone could spare the time to identify any of them I would appreciate that greatly thanks Anthony

[URL

Red currents?

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) welcome into the fireside :)

Ehm....right, you have plantain, dandelions, brambles and what looks like nettles, in your first picture,
Don't know what the second one is; it looks like really frilly yarrow :dunno: interested to hear what others make of it.
Third one is yarrow of some kind (millefoile)
Fourth one....if it smells of lemon, then it's Melissa aka Lemon Balm.

cheers,
Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hello :) welcome into the fireside :)

Ehm....right, you have plantain, dandelions, brambles and what looks like nettles, in your first picture,
Don't know what the second one is; it looks like really frilly yarrow :dunno: interested to hear what others make of it.
Third one is yarrow of some kind (millefoile)
Fourth one....if it smells of lemon, then it's Melissa aka Lemon Balm.

cheers,
Toddy

I think Photos 2 & 3 are the same shot , just Upper and Lower of Yarrow.

To make sense of this all now use the PFAF database , http://www.pfaf.org/user/plantsearch.aspx

Jul 6, 2009
birmingham
Thanks everyone the first picture I thought was sorrel so thanks for the correct ID. I has my suspicions that the second and third picture ( correct teedee it's the same plant) was yarrow but it's hard to correctly ID with it looking similar to other inedible plants and the last picture I had no idea but it reminded me of mint I've googles lemon balm I think that's correct.. I've posted more pictures in this thread but being new I have to wait for the mods to check it. I'm interested In what you guys think of them

thanks
ant.

Jul 6, 2009
birmingham
Posted more pictures
So picture
1. Plantain
2&3. Yarrow
4. Possibly lemon balm
5. Chamomile???
6. White dead nettle?
I don't know anything about the fungi
Are the red berries red currants ?
And the last picture I think will be poisonous but look similar to the other berries I believe to be red currents

thanks
ant.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, those red berries are bittersweet....look up nightshades. The berries with red, green and an orange, I mean. You have two photos of those, one is just red berries.

The ones on the twigs are hawthorns followed by brambles.

The chamomile thing is chamomile of some variety...how did it smell ?

The black tree berries are elderberries.

I'm going to sound critical, but it would perhaps be clearer if you just posted a new post with additional photos; we're getting things a bit muddled.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2009
birmingham
Ok sorry for any confusion I'm uploading the photo via an iPhone and it's a bit awkward I'll try and upload two different post one for the plants and one for the fungi

thanks
ant

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a muddle :)

Don't eat the elderberries or the bitter sweet or the gueldar rose unless you know you can. Not everyone digests them well, and bittersweet almost no one is happy with. Upset guts is the usual reaction for the others if you're not able to digest them.

The fungi I just don't know....I recognise several, but not happy at giving a 'yes, that is', on line. Some of the much more experienced folks like Xylaria would be a better bet for ID on those.

The last four berry photographs are
Bittersweet
Elderberries
Hawthorn
Brambles (blackberries)

Easiest way to post things like this is maybe half a dozen at a time. Then do another post with more in it.
It means folks can reply to Post No ?? and you'll see that the reply is to specific photos, not as it changes around as it's edited.

Some beautiful photos among your images though :D

cheers,
Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Assuming everyone isn't mad, is there a reason why I can't see the original post & photos and others can?

Tuscor

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2014
Bristol
First photo: Plantain (with the big stalk) and dandelion beside it
Second and third photo: not sure, but someone else said yarrow
Third photo: looks like lemonbalm?
Fourth photo: Chamomile - check the smell
Fifth and sixth photo: white deadnettle
Seventh and eighth photo: some form of nightshade - do not eat it!
Assorted fungi - not sure at all, be careful
The next red berries are guelder rose (not sure of the spelling there). They are definitley not red currents, as they do not have the little 'tail' on the end and they are not translucent enough

The picture with the dragon fly looks like ivy berries. If I am correct, don't eat them!
The photo with your hand holding the black coloured berries - they are elder berries. Dont eat too many raw, as they can apparently be bad for you, but they make a mean cordial or syrup once cooked.

The picture with your hand holding the redd berries are hawthornes. Again, dont eat them raw (the seeds can contain naturally occuring cynides) but cooked they can be used to make a jelly, wine or syrup.

last one is Blackberries/brambles

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE