Amanita phalloides claims two more victims

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Two people died after eating the highly-poisonous death cap mushroom at a New Year's Eve dinner party.
It is believed the mushrooms were mistaken for the similar-looking straw fungi, popular in Chinese and other Asian dishes.

How do deadly Death Caps end up on offer at a New Year's Eve party??

It dumb enough eating self-identified wild fungi you don't know how to identify, but feeding them to your guests (or selling them commercially) is even dumber.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nothing to add to that. Just stupid. I wonder if charges can result from this if the victims were not the ones who picked the fungi. Accidental poisoning of another person is still an offence isn't it, through negligence if nothing else.

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
I knew of a woman who went mushroom picking with her other half and cooked up an omelette for themselves and a pal. All three are now awaiting liver transplants!!
- Steve Hampshire

this was one of the comments left at the end of the article scary ehh !
is the deathcap the one that changes colour when it is cut open ?

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Nothing to add to that. Just stupid. I wonder if charges can result from this if the victims were not the ones who picked the fungi. Accidental poisoning of another person is still an offence isn't it, through negligence if nothing else.

It ought to be, but I have no idea about the law in Australia. I'm not 100% certain, but I think that in the UK a person who accidentally kills somebody else by supplying them with mis-identified death caps to eat would probably end up being convicted of manslaughter. If the victim survives then it may be a case of sueing for damages instead.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
[QUOTEI knew of a woman who went mushroom picking with her other half and cooked up an omelette for themselves and a pal. All three are now awaiting liver transplants!!
- Steve Hampshire

this was one of the comments left at the end of the article scary ehh !
is the deathcap the one that changes colour when it is cut open ?

Lots of mushrooms change colour when the flesh is exposed to oxygen, but the deathcap isn't one of them.

From my own guide: http://www.wibberley.org/fungiforaging/amanitaphalloides.htm

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
are death caps popular in our woodlands here?, (sorry not to explain my question clearly)

I still don't understand the question. Do you mean "are they common?"? If that's what you're asking then the answer is "yes, quite common." Not the sort of mushroom you come across every time you go mushrooming, but I see at least a few of them most years, and sometimes quite a lot. They are locally common, so it depends on where you are.

Are they popular? Well, I quite like them...they've never done anything to me! I don't like touching them though. Best left to be admired in-situ...

danielpraker

Mar 8, 2012
New Mexico, USA
Daniel Parker, here. I am currently looking for amanita phalloides spores or mushrooms from Britain and Europe. I already possess amanita phalloides from across the US and Canada. I have discovered similairites within their chemicals but there are some small changes among them. I wonder if the Britain I would love to study those mushrooms or spores from England. Is there anyone out there to help me obtain those spores or mushrooms.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
:confused:
Daniel Parker, here. I am currently looking for amanita phalloides spores or mushrooms from Britain and Europe. I already possess amanita phalloides from across the US and Canada. I have discovered similairites within their chemicals but there are some small changes among them. I wonder if the Britain I would love to study those mushrooms or spores from England. Is there anyone out there to help me obtain those spores or mushrooms.
:confused:

No.
If you wish to do biochemical research in to that genera plaese contact these people. they will obtain samples from their contemparies over here to further genuine research.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE