Amadou

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Can anyone tell me how to prepare Amadou from Tinder Fungus (Fomes fomentarius)? I have cut away the cuticle and the pore tubes.What I am left with will take a spark. But what is the next step?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I thought that 'Amadou' was just another common name for the tinder fungus....
In ye olden days it was prepared by gently boiling it in 'strong' urine for 3 days and nights, drained, then left to dry..... don't suppose that is much help though. :rolleyes:

Ed

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Martin best way is to take the fungus cut off the waste as you have done then soak it in a LYE solution (grey ashes from your fire mixed with water) I leave it for a few days then grow impatient and take it out and hit it with a mallet - this softens it.

Keep this up or leave in soak until the fungi lays break apart and resemble pulpy leather.

I can expand only slightly on the above reply. The solution of potassium hydroxide derived from hardwood ashes reportedly needs to be concentrated, either by boiling or repeatedly passing the water through a large container of ashes until the solution reaches a density such that an egg will float. I believe the Fomes is then boiled in this solution.

Please note - you will want to avoid the use of mothers good kitchen utensiles for this operation... :shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE