Amadou, How long to boil it for?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I have some amadou boiling at the moment with some ash, It's been boiling for about 7 1/2 hours now, how much longer should I boil it for?
Cheers, :)

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I have some amadou boiling at the moment with some ash, It's been boiling for about 7 1/2 hours now, how much longer should I boil it for?
Cheers, :)
Hi Sam, I boiled mine in 1 and 1/2 pints of water, topped up once with another 1/2 pint, with a heaped table spoon of Potassium nitrate (Saltpetre) for 10 hours and it works a treat.
Success.jpg

Let us know how yours turns out.
cheers Danny

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Hi Sam, I boiled mine in 1 and 1/2 pints of water, topped up once with another 1/2 pint, with a heaped table spoon of Potassium nitrate (Saltpetre) for 10 hours and it works a treat.
Success.jpg

Let us know how yours turns out.
cheers Danny

Cool, After 8 hours the electric hob shut itself off so that's when I stopped, I've been pounding it now for a while but I can't seem to get the chamois leather feel, did yours turn out very soft?
Your striker is in the works :) I've been having a bit of forge trouble but all is good now and it should be finished soon!
Cheers,

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Ah right, I've left mine soaking for tonight and in the morning I'll bash them up a bit more, yours are sort of droopy as in they don't support themselves, mine are still fairly stiff but can bend a bit, Hopefully tomorrow all will turn out well!

Feb 10, 2010
yorkshire
Hi

Ive had mixed experiences, have tried boiling one for a hour and left one simmering all day and a number of others inbetween with mixed results. I dont think there are any hard rules for the time, a lot depends on the quality / state of the fungus, boil it for a couple of hour then take it out and give it a bash, if its not soft enough give it a little longer. I guess looking back one question to keep in mind is how think is the piece of Fomes fungus, maybe the thicker it is the longer you need to cook it :) At the end its try that some Amadou is better than other, however, all can be scrapped up to catch a spark. Have you considered using it ‘raw’? I found that if you just cut off the hard top surface you can scrap up a nice ball of fluffy fibres that take a spark quite easily.

Feb 10, 2010
yorkshire
Hi

Ive had mixed experiences, have tried boiling one for a hour and left one simmering all day and a number of others inbetween with mixed results. I dont think there are any hard rules for the time, a lot depends on the quality / state of the fungus, boil it for a couple of hour then take it out and give it a bash, if its not soft enough give it a little longer. I guess looking back one question to keep in mind is how think is the piece of Fomes fungus, maybe the thicker it is the longer you need to cook it :) At the end its try that some Amadou is better than other, however, all can be scrapped up to catch a spark. Have you considered using it ‘raw’? I found that if you just cut off the hard top surface you can scrap up a nice ball of fluffy fibres that take a spark quite easily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE