Amadou ???? Best prep

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I've now got a real good hoard of horse shoe and wanted some advise on tried and tested prep

I've researched the methods quite extensively and in all honestly will probably give the three seemly favoured methods of preparing for use a go as I've harvested a good kg

So any handy tips or pro's and con's on which method to use as these are in abundance to me real locally so seems sensible to have a go

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
It's all peeled and I'm just left with the good stuff

As for the tubular base part I've dried this out and find once its powdered it takes a spark reasonably well without any other work haven't found a use for the shell other than fuel as of yet unless anyone has any ideas

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The tubular stuff is apparantly the bees knees for smoking braintanned hides :D

It's also pretty good as keeping a glowing ember for ten minutes or so and gives a bit of time to sort out blowing up into flame :cool:

Otherwise....I usually just boil the fomes for a while and then let it sit in the water to cool. Bring it out to drain and stretch it out either by beating it or by gently manipulating it with my fingers. It ends up like chamois leather. You can add hardwood ashes or saltpetre if you like too though.

cheers,
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The method I was taught by Woodlore, was to cut the trama into manageable sized pieces - then, with wet hands, gently squeeze and stretch it until it doubles in size - all the while rubbing in a little wood-ash as you go. Once dried it take a spark as well as any other preparation method.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE