alpkit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
All very interesting.Going back to the thread of the original post I got the regular airic and are pretty pleased. I think that the 3/4 length would suffice though but I dont tend to carry my kit very far so weight not really an issue.
Dave

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
The repair held and I have had three comfortable nights on the mended Regular Airic
mat. Two of them at Woodsmoke and the third at my hotel room on Sunday night as
there was a protected balcony that was too tempting to miss sleeping out on...
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21991

I don't understand the 3/4 length concept. Which bit of you hangs off the edge - head
or feet? Either sounds uncomfortable to be honest. My full length mat is v. light and
probably one of the lightest things I carry, certainly the lightest thing that affords most
luxurious comfort but obviously a tent or other carrying is indirectly important :)

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I don't understand the 3/4 length concept. Which bit of you hangs off the edge - head or feet? Either sounds uncomfortable to be honest.
whichever bit you want to!! :) - I think the idea is that your body is on the mat as that's the bit that needs the padding / heat. I think the 3/4 refers to a midget though as I've got one that's more like half length for me (I'm 6'1")

My full length mat is v. light and probably one of the lightest things I carry, certainly the lightest thing that affords most luxurious comfort but obviously a tent or other carrying is indirectly important :)
agreed. Strange thing is that I never used a mat in my younger days... but wouldn't consider leaving it home now. (must be old age creeping up :tapedshut )

p.s. Glad the repair held up :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The repair held and I have had three comfortable nights on the mended Regular Airic
mat. Two of them at Woodsmoke and the third at my hotel room on Sunday night as
there was a protected balcony that was too tempting to miss sleeping out on...
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21991

I don't understand the 3/4 length concept. Which bit of you hangs off the edge - head
or feet? Either sounds uncomfortable to be honest. My full length mat is v. light and
probably one of the lightest things I carry, certainly the lightest thing that affords most
luxurious comfort but obviously a tent or other carrying is indirectly important :)

Both. Head on a pillow and legs off the other end. I have a 3/4 length alpkit mat and find it really comfortable. As long as you put some insulation under your legs its not a problem.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Actually I can see the sense in that - it probably balances things out a bit to have the
mat in the middle of you and fill the matless gaps with other things that you have. Can't
see me going for a smaller mat though. Ever :)

When I said "or other carrying" in my previous post I clear meant "or other covering"!

O

oilyrag

How do you store yours? Simply rolled as in the way the factory sends it, or fold it in half along its length then roll it?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
How do you store yours? Simply rolled as in the way the factory sends it, or fold it in half along its length then roll it?
store it (thermarest in my case) unrolled, under the bed with the valve open..

whilst carrying it in my pack, folded in half down the middle* and rolled up tight, starting at the foot end and working towards the valve. Once rolled up, close the valve and put it in it's stuff sack, then inside my pack :)

* though some of the thicker mats i've seen will be difficult to fold down the middle in this way

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE