Alder tree surprise

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just thought some of you boys and
girls would like this

c1238416-ef64-ec41.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just a small point but I hear its possible to stop the bleedin irritating little advert that HTC desires do with every single post, not sure how as I don't have one but it is possible.

Sent from a PC using fingers.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i thought people added it on purpose just to let everyone know they have an expensive phone,...

#sent from my Mercedes by my P.A#

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
i thought people added it on purpose just to let everyone know they have an expensive phone,...

#sent from my Mercedes by my P.A#

No I think its automatic.
I quite like the bit of Alder that started the thread, reminds me of something from the Mandlebrot set.

Sent by my personal secretary in my Lear jet.

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
I was just wondering was this cut with with a chain saw as I have spent many years turning highly figured wood and have never seen a circular pattern like this, is there any chance that its chain oil ?

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
I could have been caused by many things from fungal spores, climate or a source of minerals in the soil when it was growing…it possible could have had an old wound at that stage of its growth that has caused the colouring

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks like one of the Vascular wilt fungal diseases, but other diseases are blocked off is various ways by the annual rings and medularies, which causes patternation. I think because its Alder it looks more impressive as it stains when cut anyhow. I could be wrong though as I've no books nearby to check, and I don't have to deal with these sort of tree problems often.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/cucurbitproblemsolver/root/verticillium_wilt.html

Fungus is one of my best friends when it come to knife handle cross sections though :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
IIRC Alder stains to reddish pinky after cutting, not like that.
Plus you can see that the chainsaw didn't have its nose in the cut as the cut striations are all across the log.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE