Advice pls! 3 weeks; Arran, lakes & snowdonia

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
hello! Im planning to take 3 weeks out of work around may time next year whislt the other half is going to do a gap year type thing in some distant country. I'm hoping I can test my self a little bit and get to see what the big glaciated areas in the uk has to offer. I've been to the lakes several times but only around mardale and langdale, so a new route would be fab. Basically I would be getting trains too and fro from these places, probably starting in Arran. Any advice about the places I have listed and transport especially for arran (ferries?) would be fab, and any decent 5 day/night routes with between 8-16 miles a day and wild camping would be great. I plan to spend at least one night a week in a B&B or hostel, so any info on such places would be great too :)

thanks

J

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Caledonian MacBrayne (Cal Mac) run very regular ferries to and from Arran on a daily basis, they rarely go off unless there is a major hoolie blowing. Here's a link to the winter timetable, you will note you can get the train from Glasgow to Ardrossan, which hooks up with the ferry sailing to Brodick.

http://www.calmac.co.uk/timetables/winter-timetables.htm?id=winter-arran--ardrossan-brodick.png

(note if you intend to go across to the Mull of Kintyre and beyond there is a ferry service between Lochranza and Claonaig.

Arran itself has lots to offer you - ensure you take a good OS map. You can opt for one of the coastal routes or take a high level ridge walk, or just have a trauchle down one of the glens. Make sure you check on deerstalking activity first.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Jonnie

Arran's a lovely place you can get there via the Calmac ferry: http://www.calmac.co.uk/timetables/summer-timetables.htm?id=summer-arran--ardrossan-brodick.png
I think you can get the train to Ardrossan which makes the journey possible. Lots to see and do however you might find it a bit small for an extended trip. It not actually that big an island and you can walk through the mountains in a day or two, though there are plenty of day walks.
You might be better heading to the Highlands for a longer trip, how about Aviemore to Pitlochry though the Cairngorms or Dalwhinnie to Fort William? All of which have railway links.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Head to Arran first Jonnie and I doubt you'll be heading south after, I could easily fill three weeks exploring the Scottish west coast alone.

From Arran you could head back to the mainland and go north up to Knapdale, the wildlife is amazing up there, Golden Eagles, Sea Eagles, Ospreys, Otters and Red Deer in abundance. Lots of historic stuff to poke your nose at too if that takes your fancy.

After Knapdale head north again, maybe a rest day in Fort Bill for a bit of retail therapy in all the outdoor shops they have there, a day or two around Moidart but I think you'll probably stop longer once you get there. After Moidart and the coastal areas, head up to Mallaig and get the ferry across to Inverie. Knoydart, Barrisadle, Loch Hourn and Loch Quoich. Head back to Fort Bill then onto Kinlochleven and the surrounding hills, that should take you nicely to the end of your trip.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
thanks for the replies and advice guys, the ferry timetable will be very helpful! Goatfell seems a cracking place for ridge walks, I'd be all over that, looks great. Might even manage to get a chance for a bit of sea fishing. I see what your saying rich! the scottish hills look far more rugged and challenging. Fort william looks a hell of a long way away though, wouldnt want to be spending too much time in more civilized areas to be honest, only for the odd hot meal and to restock supplies! I've just been reading island years, and im proper psyched for an island trip :D would doing ben nevis be too much of a cliche? I tend to enjoy the solitude of the less well-known big hills and tarns, if I could get that without too much strenous work then I would be a very happy bunny! Argyll forest park and loch lomond look like good steep areas, I guess they see a lot of people though. Are there any good wooded areas too that should be visited around the region?

cheers

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Arran is quite a nice place.

I did my mapping dissertation there for 3 weeks. We stayed in a youth hostel, which was...interesting.

The only shop on the island is in Comrie where the ferry goes so you can stock up when you get there.
A fair amount of sea fishing can be had. And there is a lake full of trout too but it is a fair walk away. Cant remember the name unfortunately.

Andy

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Hi mate, If you're thinking of doing the Ben try the alternative route via the CMD Arete: http://www.trekkingbritain.com/bennevisviathecmdarete.html - there's a great couple of bunkhouses at Glen Nevis. Outstanding walk & you can descend via the Tourist Path.

In the Lakes I'd recommend the Mosedale Horseshoe from Wasdale, you can start from the campsite & return to the Wasdale Inn!! I'm up there for 5 nights in November. Enjoy

Al

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
thanks again for all the info folks! I have decided that im going to do a bit of island exploring- arran, islay and jura. I've had a good research on the ferries and have decided to ferry it from ardrossan to brodick (arran), lochanza (arran) to claonaig (kintyre), kennacraig (kintyre) to askhaig (islay), askhaig (islay) to feolin (jura) then return via the same way, spending a good long time in islay and jura, hopefully some coastal foraging and some good hill walking, taking plenty of pics on the way!

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
That sounds like a great trip, Jonnie, you will enjoy it immensely. There's good hill walking to be had on Jura, with good views across to Islay and Colonsay. Again, check on deer stalking activities before you venture out. The butcher in Craighouse does some great venison burgers :)

You should also try to visit at least one distillery, you have your choice on Arran, Islay and Jura!

If you wanted to pick off another Scottish island (and have the time) you could always do a day trip or an overnighter to Gigha, the ferry goes from Tayinloan on Kintyre, to Ardminish. There's no hills as such but it's a nice wee island, you can hire a bike and cycle around it.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
cheers Bigfoot :) how do I check up about deer stalking?

and where can I find out about distilleries? I've just recieved my os landranger of arran today, it looks great :) looks like theres plenty of nicely wooded areas for shelter too, ive got maps for islay and jura on order too.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
You can Google all the distilleries, they will all have their own website. Arran has its own distillery as does Jura. You can go overboard on Islay but I can recommend a visit to Bowmore, it has a fairly decent visitor centre.

Deer stalking can usually be checked locally with the Tourist boards and also the sporting estates, some of which have signs with helpline numbers. Seasons vary between estates but generally the main time is through August to October. Stag shooting is on now, ending on 2oth October. From the 21st October until about 15th February is the main hind shooting season.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
shudnt be too bad then hopefully, im planning to be away to the isles in may/june :)

is there anywhere online you can check with the tourist boards?

cheers for the recomendation, I'll give it a google, im not a big fan of whiskey but then again ive probably only tasted the crap stuff!

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Sorry, I had it in my mind you were heading off this month - I'll read the OP more carefully next time :)

Google is your friend for online searches - the Scottish Tourist Board is now called Visit Scotland but I'm not sure how much detail you will get online. Most of the useful stuff comes from the local offices.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE