advice on fletching arrows

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
hi, i have been making some arrows ,which i am pleased with apart from the position of the fletchings to the nock .i am using a blitzenberger dialajig .but to me the flethchings are in the wrong place.should the cock feather be right above the nock ,and the other two fletchings either side ,so as when the arrow is loosed,the two coloured fletchings should have minimal contact with the bow.mine seem a bit squeegee ! i must not be using the jig properly,do i adjust it for different diameter shafts ? josh sent it to me for a try ,but this is the first time i have seen such a device ........

Green Arrow

Nov 5, 2006
Hampshire UK
Hi Gill,
with the nock slot horizontal the cock feather should stick up vertically, the other two feathers should be evenly spaced around the arrow. All the feathers should appear evenly spaced, a bit like the legs of a tripod if you know what I mean. I don't think that you can adjust for different diameter shafts. What are you using 11/32? Ideally the feathers should all be on the same slight angle, to spin the arrow in flight rather than dead straight down the shaft.
Hope this helps

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
And remember that if you are using feather fletchings make sure that are from the same wing (they are sold as either left or right wing) and the slight angle in Green Arrows post goes in the opposite direction depending on the wing it comes from.

Just to make things even stranger if fletching for a recurve or compound with a launcher or a hairy biscuit you fletch the cock feather in line with the nock so that when it is on the string the cock feather is vertical. I remeber this as 'cock-up for compound!'.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
For the cock feather the flat on the knob is in about the 11'o'clock position.

The angle should have been set ok for 11/32 unless it took a dunt in the post. You do adjust it slightly for different diameters but it's only a teenie bit and only to get the feather base sitting nicely as it wraps around the shaft. It's such a small tweak that it barely changes the angle.

How the feather alignment looks will also be affected slightly by which mark you use to line them up. I usually use the 2nd mark(1st long mark).....
....I think! It lines 5½" shields up with the front edge of the clamp.

Edit:
Just dawned on me what you're probably meaning. When looking at the feathers from the nock end do they seem to be slightly too far round in a clockwise rotation?
....meaning that the cock feather looks a bit higher than it should? Instead of sticking straight out it's pointing up by maybe five degrees(probably less).

That's just the trailing edge. The farther forward you look the more the feather rotates anti-clockwise. A half inch or so forward - where the bulk of the feather is - the cock will be pointing straight out but that's not what your eye focuses on.
The above effect happens with long shield cut. The same length parabolic cut look different because the widest part is farther forward.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE