adopt a tree

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I’ve transferred the photo’s over to my Blog :- http://teddytourteas.blogspot.com/2011/01/adopt-tree.html
as I do not like the loss of control over the photo’s,

Graham_S
You have received an infraction at BushcraftUK: Community Forum.
Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
-------
Hi.
Due to a number of complaints from other members, and after reviewing the thread in question (this one), I've awarded an infraction.
While you are entitled to your opinion, there is no need to insult people.
Thank you.
Graham_s.
BCUK Mod team.
-------
This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I regard the photo’s as my property, that I want to share with BCUK,
but finding I can’t access them, because of “restricted access,” I’ve transferred them to where I can
thanks for your time Danny.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just over the road from Wednesdays parking spot Link there's some old quarry buildings
and one of them's made out of poured and shuttered concrete and had a wooden post set in which is now rotted away
and has a Rowan growing out of the hole
Rowantree1.jpg

it was literally growing in nothing
Rowantree2.jpg

with the field having several empty sheep feeding tubs scattered about
using a found collar bone I did a molehill and sheep muck mix and gave the tree a feed then a water from a stream near by
Rowantree3.jpg

I'm up this way allot so I can take some more photo's through out the year________ Bonsai - R - Us
cheers all Danny

Last edited:

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
There is an old tale, from eskimos. It's about a boy who wanted to know ho is the most powerful in the world. He thought it was the Sun, but when he as her, she said that clouds are more powerful 'couse they could shade her. He went to the Cloud and was disappointed once again: Rock was harder than the Cloud. But when he talked to the Rock, it said: Well there is something more powerful than I am. You should climb me and see for yourself. When he finally reached the top of the rock He found a Tree. Just like yours ;) And it was still a second toughest thing on earth. The champion is You.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Being over in Horton in Ribblesdale this afternoon I thought I'd detour home via the Station Inn at Ribblehead and water myself (Copper Dragon Pippin, on fine form) then water the tree on the way home
wateradoptedtreeapril1.jpg

it's just begining to bud up
wateradoptedtreeapril2.jpg

it was ready for watering so I poured a couple of bucket fulls on from a handy stream only 10 yards away
wateradoptedtreeapril3.jpg

just though as it's been a month I'd update
cheers all Danny

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
hey thats cool. i love trees and seeing them in interesting places:) maby later on it will give you a nice load of berries. you scratch my back i'll scratch yours:D

it will probably run out of nutrience and die eventually. if it starts to look a bit poorly it would be best to plant it in the ground.

pete

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
don't they reckon that the size of the roots are at least the same size as the tree ?
like a mirror image.
I think to have grown so long, for the size of it, that it must have found ground ?
There's not many nutrients in concrete and x2 buckets of water just poured straight in
and didn't flood out anywhere I could see.
cheers Danny

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
the roots being a mirror image of the branches is a myth.
in fact the roots on most trees rarely reach more than 60cm below the surface, think of the root plates of trees that have fallen over, very flat! they do usually spread out far wider than the reach of the branches thow.

the roots and branches do strongly influence each other. if the roots are restricted so will be the branches and if the branches or roots are pruned/damaged then the roots or branches will dieback or loose viggor.

it may not have found the ground. you see plenty of buddleja shrubs growing out of old brickwork and there can't be much soil in bricks!:)

pete

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Had a day out along Raven Scar today and watered the Tree on the way up.
tree-1.jpg

with Ted
treeted2.jpg

about to blossom
treeabouttoblossom.jpg

just thought I'd share cheers all Danny

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
hey, thats really cool what you are doing, brings new meaning to the "adop a tree" scheme.

have you considered going out there with a club and bolster and making the hole around the tree a bit bigger and filling it up with compost? would be slow hard work in that concrete but as long as your careful would do the tree a world of good :)

ATB
TJ

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
It's been a couple of weeks since I was up to water the tree so I thought it would make a good dinner time destination.
june1.jpg

the blossoms gone and it's just setting berries
junesettingberries.jpg

Dinner:- Smoked Bacon,Egg,Black Pudding, cooked on a Primus No.5,
june2dinner.jpg

and home made Bread with a Californian Merlot
june3dinnerplate.jpg

cheers all Danny

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Looks like these branches will make nice walking sticks. lol.
Just ordered some blackthorns for the back garden.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Just happened to be passing so stopped to water
3treevanbottle.jpg

thats Brenda waiting by our van Post #71 The plastic tub I'd been using for a few months had vanished but I'd hidden an empty wine bottle in a foot square hole just inside the bunker half way up the wall towards the tree. I put it back with a stone in front hiding it if any one else is passing and wants to water
4treeteddybottle.jpg

the berries are coming on
5treeberriesa.jpg

just thought I'd update cheers all Danny

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
If there's a heaven, Danny, you'll go to it.

I come across rowans in the most unlikely places. You'll often find one on old Highland tracks as they were believed to protect travellers. They are also common at old shelings where people haven't lived for centuries and there isn't another tree for miles. They were believed to contain a spirit and acted as a sanctuary against the many malicious gouls, bogles, witches, broonies and other nameless things commonly to be found in wild and lonely places in the Highlands.

Nothing good ever becomes of anyone who'd take an axe to a rowan!

Not that I'm superstitious, but I always make a point of reassuring a rowan if I'm passing with an axe... just in case.

I mean, look what happened to the House of Breadalbane!

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Danny your doing a great job mate looking after yer tree and a braw tree it is , are you feeding it your wine , it's dane well ...goodjob :beerchug:

Last edited:

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
My sister and I owned a coffee bar for about 10 years. One day I walked outside going to my car at the end of the day, was crossing to road only to notice a rather large tomato plant growing up the railings in a crack in the tarmac. Then one day I came in to open up only to see it had been taken. Was a sad day.

P.S. Lovely post! Like to see things growing in unusual places defying the world. Looks like its doing rather well! Keep us posted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE