A Wonder Through The Woods With The Mrs.

Well…today was supposed to be a day for hiking through the woods and trying out new knives. However the temperature and humidity were really high as if we had suddenly found ourselves in some equatorial rain forest. Because of this the look I got when I asked her what she wanted to cook while we were out expressed, with what I interpreted as some very colorful words, a questioning my sanity. So…we stopped by a Sonic and then went for a walk on a wooded trail beside a mountain Stream.

We did learn that we think both sheaths are very comfortable to wear, we both had them on from the time we left the house until our return some four hours later with only a couple of funny looks from the waitress at the Sonic…we ate at the picnic tables out front.
IMG_5617.jpg

She found a funnel web on a tree at the top of the bluff over looking the stream.
IMG_5620.jpg

IMG_5624.jpg

I find these solar panels and antennas in the darnedest places, I still wonder what they are for.
IMG_5628.jpg

There wasn't as much water in the creek as I expected there to be after all of the rain we have had, but it was still nice to look at and listen to.
IMG_5629.jpg

IMG_5630.jpg

There are several tough old trees growing along the edges of the creek too.
IMG_5632.jpg

On the way back up the hill I spotted some mushrooms.
IMG_5640.jpg

IMG_5644.jpg

IMG_5645.jpg

This is Lisa sitting on a rock above me giving me that sanity-questioning look again.
IMG_5642.jpg

Then on out the trail
IMG_5648.jpg

And then more mushrooms.
IMG_5653.jpg

I found another one of those odd orbs.
IMG_5669.jpg

IMG_5674.jpg

Just in case it is some sort of alien seed pod I put it in a protective container.
IMG_5684.jpg

The woods were nice and breezy, but still very humid.
IMG_5682.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

Found some more funnel shaped webs…
IMG_5687.jpg

Some tasty blackberries.
IMG_5708.jpg

And a bug with some really good natural camouflage for his A.O.
IMG_5733.jpg

And several more mushrooms.
IMG_5721.jpg

IMG_5691.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

Then spent some time just enjoying the peace of this little field of ferns. Not exactly what I had planned, but I still enjoyed the hike…hope you enjoyed the pics.
IMG_5741.jpg

Great post mate, lovely photos. :D

Thanks Andy, glad you liked the pics!

Looks like a lovely place for a wonder that does!

Drew

Thanks Drew, it is a great place to wander around in, I like it much better in the Autumn though....not so humid then :D

Nice walk.

i like the pic of the bluff.

What type of trees predominate over there?

I just have to walk these forests someday.

Thanks Ash, I liked that one too.

As far as here locally goes it is primarily deciduous with a mix of Hemlocks, Spruce, Pines, Cedars thrown in. As far as the dominant species that's hard to pin down. Some large areas are dominated by specific species such as White Oak Mountain being named for the dominant tree there. In some areas Red oaks will dominate while in others it will be Hickory...other places other species. In some areas where the mountain streams pass through areas at the higher elevations Hemlock trees are dominant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE