A twin for my knife. (Pic heavy/Some WIP pictures)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Last week I finished the second of five knives I am putting a handle on to get some practice. I decided it would be nice if I`d make an unidentical twin for the first knife. Here are some WIP-pictures.

First I make the bolster by drilling some holes and filing out the slot with some needle files. Then I make holes in all the other bits that are supposed to go onto the tang, and test fit them. If everything fits I clean the pieces and tang with acetone and glue it together with two-part epoxy.

2014-03-02+16.01.17.jpg

I have not made a clamp yet to put the knives in while they dry, but here is my solution: I clamp the handle in a workmate and then hang a weight from the top, compressing all the parts nicely. It isn`t the most elegant way, but it works.

2014-03-02+17.02.12.jpg

When the epoxy is dry the fun part of shaping the handle begins.
2014-03-03+20.47.50.jpg

Here is the finished knife after sanding the handle to 1000 grit, and oiling with boiled linseed oil
S0390689.JPG

And here it is together with its unidentical twin:

S0400690.JPG

DSCF0773.JPG

Thanks for looking. Any comments, tips and feedback/criticism are appreciated :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE