A strange sensation in the night...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
...WARMTH!

Slept out in the garden last night in my new Dutch modular sleep system. Getting into it all in the dark was a challenge but once I was in, it was pretty comfortable.

It's a bit disorientating being inside 3 bags as finding zips and adjusters is not easy but the Hunka XL is so big that my pillow was secure and clear from the ground. I had the inner bag zipped up but the outer bag was partially undone.

Took a thermometer out with me and the minimum temperature last night was -1ºC! Having a large Thermarest in the bivi with me meant that it was a bit tight so I could feel my bum cooling slightly but not enough to stop me from sleeping

I think with a smaller mat or inside a hammock I would have been even more comfortable but pleased that I wasn't cold!

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Nice to read you're satisfied with a sleep system that didn't cost you a fortune. How did the mosquito net perform? Or wasn't necessary?

Looking forward for an additional review when sleeping inside a hammock.:)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Excellent news- we had a bit of frost last night, so it must have been a chilly one down where you are. Would you consider putting the thermarest outside of the bivi bag to avoid the compression of the loft?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Excellent news- we had a bit of frost last night, so it must have been a chilly one down where you are. Would you consider putting the thermarest outside of the bivi bag to avoid the compression of the loft?

I did think about it but with that much Nylon, things get pretty slippery and I was sleeping next to the pond! I didn't really want to put the Thermarest directly on the grass. I'm going to take to the trees next week

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I did think about it but with that much Nylon, things get pretty slippery and I was sleeping next to the pond!
Something you can do to fix that is get some clear silicone from a DIY shop and mix it with some white spirit to thin it then paint a couple lines onto the Therm-a-rest. You'll then have some grippy strips that stop you sliding about.

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
Thanks for the review Spandit, I happened upon these bags myself a little while ago an have been umming and ahhing over getting one ever since.

Your experience of these bags is nudging me towards thinking 'FU-Kit' and buying them ;)

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Problem is, white spirit stinks & you can't get rid of the smell easily. Might give it a go, although I'm intending on swinging next weekend
Very true, I used it to seal the seams on my DIY tarp and to be honest it didn't smell much at all but something you sleep right next to may be a bit much.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...WARMTH!

Slept out in the garden last night in my new Dutch modular sleep system. Getting into it all in the dark was a challenge but once I was in, it was pretty comfortable.

It's a bit disorientating being inside 3 bags as finding zips and adjusters is not easy but the Hunka XL is so big that my pillow was secure and clear from the ground. I had the inner bag zipped up but the outer bag was partially undone...

Not really familiar with the Dutch system. Do the bags fasten together as they do in the USGI system? If so, then they aren't intended to have both bags zipped. Just zipping the outer one should be sufficient.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Not really familiar with the Dutch system. Do the bags fasten together as they do in the USGI system? If so, then they aren't intended to have both bags zipped. Just zipping the outer one should be sufficient.

No they don't. In a zipped bivi bag they'd be fine but the Alpkit Hunka XL is top loading

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah I just read your other thread on the system. It would be impoosible to do with one bag being a side zip and the other a top/center zip. It's pretty easy with the US system being entirely side zip. That said, I would like to see it manufactured/issued as all top/center zip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE