A scruffy venison recipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Here's a recipe I dropped into a thread on BB the other day thought I'd share it over here:

here's a rough recipe cos i don't really do measurements (i can never remember them so just go by the eye)

diced venison (500g)
ready to eat dried prunes (a big handful or maybe 1/4-1/3 as many as pieces of venison)
port (just a damn good slug - large glass full)
redcurrant jelly
seasoned flour (salt n pepper - to lightly coat the meat in)
whole shallots or small red onions halved (so they don't fall apart)
any stew type veg usually carrots and or parsnips (maybe celeriac or turnip aint tried either though)
maybe a wee bit of thyme

- lightly coat meat in flour, dust off excess flour. fry to seal in a little oil in a big ovenproof pan.
- once nicely browned remove meat and add the port to 'deglaze' (i cant believe i typed that) the pan, basically get all the crud stuck to the pan, mainly flour which will thicken up the 'gravy' and cook off the alcohol. add a couple of tsp of red currant jelly or (bramble preserve?)
- put meat back in along with onions, prunes and rest of veg seasoning etc. and bang in oven at between 150-180 degrees for around errrr...wen the meat is all tender an hour or 45 minutes??. i put lid on for around half the cooking time.
- whilst that lots stewing make up some dumplings as per suet/shortening instructions idaeally using wholemeal flour or half n half. dontreally matter though. make em just smaller than a golf ball, then squish em (technical term) a bit flat, make a slight indent in the middle and put about 1/3 tsp of horeseradish sauce in the middle and then close them back into a round ball shape. yes this bit can be a bit messy.
- when stew is pretty much cooked bob the dumplings on top and cook LID OFF for 20 mins or so until they're crisp on the top.
- serve and eat

ta da!

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
AlbeoLupus said:
I'm hungry again now and I've only just finished my lunch.

Mind you sushi don't seem to fill you up like venison stew would ;)

Andy :cool:

well i wouldnt say that....those lil ones from boots sure dont but i've got some smoked mackerel O-sushi thats a right gut buster!

Buckshot said:
Sounds good
What do you put in the dumplings?

eh................doh! i see wot u mean now. thanks for that.

how come no one on BB pointed out that glaringly obvious omission!!

the 1/3tsp would be horseradish sauce.

soz for the confusion there dude

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE