A question for the leather workers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
Recently been gifted an old canvas bag which my Father used as a fishing bag.
The canvas is in great condition but some of the leather straps are so dry and brittle that if bent double they will snap/split.

Is there anything I can use to make them hydrated/supple again? Like a dubbin or leather food of some sort..??

Any and all advice appreciated.

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
I'd ONLY use Ko-Cho-Line, from your local saddlers

I NEVER EVER use Neatsfoot & advise against using it - its one of those "traditional" methods that everyone knows about, but I've seen more leather tack & saddles wrecked by it than enough
I also advise people restoring military collectables.

One lad had some very dried out WW1 army boots. He asked the same question as yours on a WW2 site, but I missed his posting. He was told to use Neatsfoot. It made the boots much darker & soaked in, when he tried wearing them they cracked as the leather was oiled but still dry
Another of the lads on the site tried the stuff above. His boots went as soft as if they'd just been made (not overnight though - it takes a gradual application over a period of time for the Ko-Cho-Line to do its job)

Don't believe me?
Buy both, then do your own tests....

If the Ko-Cho-Line isn't the best I'll buy the tin from you

OR - an alternative - get new straps made (if they show signs of rusty coloured dust the leather has red-rot & may be beyond salvage. Leather tanning prevents the skin doing what dead skin naturally does - decay... Not keeping leather fed means it dries out & begins to decay)

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
ta chaps, the straps are double riveted on, how big-a-job (read: How much will it cost me?) do you think it is for 4 buckles and 4 straps to be changed. The carry strap is still quite supple but would probably benefit from a change.

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
Its cheap enough to buy strips of leather of a set width.

Le Prevo sell such, as do others

A basic photo or link to a similar bag would help too

The dressing I mention only costs a fiver a tin & will last for decades, not years!

I have quite a lot of canvas webbing too, for cartridge & game bag straps. These run from £15+ each...OR I can sell you enough to make them yourself (part of the ownership thing of the bag being handed down to you now...) & I can also include necessary instructions on what to do, sell 2 part rivets, etc.

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
Don't believe me?
Buy both, then do your own tests....

If the Ko-Cho-Line isn't the best I'll buy the tin from you

You're not Barry Scott of Cilit-Bang fame are you? :lmao:

But seriously, thats quite an endorsement, if the new leather option is too expensive I'll get a tin and give it a bash!

Thanks

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have not heard of this stuff before and only get suppliers when I google it.
Do you have any details about its contents?
Is it a natural or synthetic grease?
I am very interested - not that I have had any probs with using Neatsfoot - but I am always interested in improving my treatments!

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
Ok, just taken these snaps of it. It's nothing special, and not a huge amount of sentimental value attached but I reckon I'd get a smile off the old fella if he saw it tarted up a bit..

DSC_2551.jpg

DSC_2552.jpg

So.. are they too far gone for a treatment? And, how much to replace them do you think? (as in, I post it, and it comes back done)

Thanks

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
I have not heard of this stuff before and only get suppliers when I google it.
Do you have any details about its contents?
Is it a natural or synthetic grease?
I am very interested - not that I have had any probs with using Neatsfoot - but I am always interested in improving my treatments!

Hi John

Glad ya didn't see it as a potential dig when I gave Neatsfoot the elbow, as some of the folk on the forums I frequent are a bit too thin skinned for their own good.

Background to my use of it: bought a few leatherwork tools from a local (back then) saddler. He asked what I was doing & offered free lessons (which were quickly followed by quite a lot of repair work on his behalf - freeing him for the £££ jobs :) )
HE was trained by an olde-saddler chap - this old bloke drummed it into him about Ko-Cho-Line being THE thing....
My mate then drummed the same message into me
When I trade at the shows such as Bisley or the Midland Game Fair, I do likewise. Some of my Bisley customers cannot believe how good it is for the pittance it costs. (I have tins here I paid £2.95 for - it seems to have jumped to about the £5 mark now)

ProductDetail.aspx

Dunno what its made from, but been told its THE things that leather requires to replace whats taken during the tanning process & subsequent use.
Looks like pink grease. It says apply with a cloth: if doing that, keep the cloth in a sealed plastic bag, rubber banded to the tin. I just apply with fingers. Maker say its got a 6-month shelf life - I've seen tins 30 & 40 years old that had rusted on the outside but the dressing was as good as new!

Dunno if the link will work, if not, I'll try to post a pic of it

Jon

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
Ok, just taken these snaps of it. It's nothing special, and not a huge amount of sentimental value attached but I reckon I'd get a smile off the old fella if he saw it tarted up a bit..

So.. are they too far gone for a treatment? And, how much to replace them do you think? (as in, I post it, and it comes back done)

Thanks

I'd definitely replace them as they look ready to snap.

Measure them: width, length, etc.
Also need the distance between the nickel rivets

I'll make you some straps up - and send them to you with 2-part rivets. The buckle sides are ok - as is common with this design - as they're not subjected to as much movement as the long sections; they just look a bit dark to to moisture from the metal buckle.

That'll be the cheapest & easiest way

...sound like a plan?

Jon

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
That sounds like a plan to me! I'll measure them when I'm home and give you the sizes.

But.. I would still prefer the whole lot done for me.. If you are too busy to do it for me perhaps some of the other leather working members who are intersted in this small commission could PM me?

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE