A Quest For Signs of Spring

Yesterday afternoon Alayna and I decided it was a good day to get out of the house for a while so we went off on a quest for signs of Spring. First we went for a ride down the river road checking out the gorge. We stopped at the boat ramp to watch the big boat going by.

Barges.jpg

You can see the how the green is starting to pop out on the lower trees, but the upper trees are still mostly bare.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Then Alayna got really distracted looking up at the top of the mountain on our side of the river.

5.jpg

Ya know, when your little girl turns and looks at you eyes all sparkly, face all beaming, excitedly and happily shouting “look daddy, castles!” it's a high all it's own

6-1.jpg

And I guess to her mind they really are

7.jpg

8.jpg

As soon as we hit the woods Alayna found her an ‘iking stick

13.jpg

And after all the rain of course the second thing she found was water to throw rocks into

10.jpg

At first the only signs of new life we saw were new growth on the lower scrub brush on the briars.

12.jpg

Then we found a few flowers all having to bloom early to beat the leaf canopy that is to come.

9.jpg

18Flower-3.jpg

17Flower-2.jpg

There are a lot of Holly Trees in this area too

11.jpg

Alayna found where a squirrel had been munching on some hickory nuts

14.jpg

15.jpg

and while I was taking pictures Alayna found another puddle and with her usual “leave no puddle unrippled” philosophy proceeded to pummel it with every small stone, stick, and nut she could find near by.

16.jpg

I found what I’m told may be Black Cherry Trees.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Prunuse.htm

I’ll have to keep an eye open later to know for sure.

IMG_0987.jpg

CopyofLeaves-1.jpg

Backsofleaves.jpg

All in all it was a very enjoyable day out in the woods.

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
Lovely violets; ours have come out in the last week in the garden.

I'm always fascinated by the way that there are very similar plants and animals filling very similar niches on either side of the Atlantic. Take the three flowers Mistwalker photographed - violets (yep, we've got those in very similar woodland settings); something that looks a lot like wood anemones over here; the third one is unlike any woodland plant I know but appears to be a member of the pea/vetch family.

Also, the holly trees - native or introduced?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for the pics MW, looks like you had a grand day out with your daughter. As TeeDee said I too enjoy the stories of your wanderings around Tennesee, it looks a lovely place to live :)

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
Great post and great kid.

Would love to read a story about a trip to the woods from her point of view! Everything is new and exciting.

Thank you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE