A quest for a cup o Tea.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
The loch was fairly calm today, and decided to go for a wee paddle, taking my hobo stove with me in the vague hope of finding enough dry tinder to boil some water.:lmao:

Took it easy up the loch, I had hoped to make it to 'Stuck' but it was too far for the amount of time I had. Opted to head for the closest beach on the west side.:canoe:

Made it to the beach in maybe 20 mins for so, taking it easy.
camp1.jpg

view1.jpg

Hunted around the area for some dry stuff, however everything was soaking, no dead standing wood, or anything handly hanging on trees:rolleyes:. I spent around 30 mins trying to get a decent flame, and would have been faster using my lighter to be honest. So gave up and decided to move up to 'long beach'.

PIC_0832.jpg

Lovely and quiet, soooo peaceful.
quiet.jpg

camp2.jpg

camp2woods.jpg

I will, I will, I will get my Tea! I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll scream till I get it.. :eek:
lightingfire.jpg

lightingfire2.jpg

Success! Man made fire. Ug!
fire.jpg

Me a happy chappy! Although not very warm. Five layers and I was 'okay'. Just.
smile-1.jpg

Saw a few deer tracks too, these small ones..
tracts.jpg

And these much much bigger ones.. :eek:. I know you can't tell much from this picture but they were very large indeed.
tracts2.jpg

Anyway, I got my tea, and checked the time, oops oot a bit longer than I had planned, so packed up and headed back. I had secretly hoped to get over to the Crannog and take a few pics before the water levels get back up.. maybe next time... ;)

Cheers,

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks brilliant Nagual :D
One of those days you thoroughly enjoy but finally getting home and the jacket and boots off, and everything squared away just adds the icing on the cake :)

Lovely bit of the world, thanks for the photos :cool:

cheers,
M

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
you've made the same Hobo stove mod as me :D from an ikea cutlery drainer? i also noticed that, like me, you havent cut out a "door" section, so to keep the flames going when you have a pot on top what do you do? do you just lift it up to chuck the sticks in, or do you just put what you think is enough in and leave it?

nice pics looks like a good day :)

Cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great piccies Nag

Haven't been out for a paddle for a few weeks now and those pics are telling me I should.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
That looks brilliant Nagual :D
One of those days you thoroughly enjoy but finally getting home and the jacket and boots off, and everything squared away just adds the icing on the cake :)

Lovely bit of the world, thanks for the photos :cool:

cheers,
M

Cheers Mary, aye tis lovely. Wind wasn't too bad, and my Craghoppers jacket kept the wind completely out. My legs on the other hand were a tad cold - well it was jeans I was wearing, nothing underneath.. erm I mean no long johns etc.. :D

Wonderful pictures, thanks!
Was your Hobo stove an IKEA cutlery stand in a previous life?

you've made the same Hobo stove mod as me :D from an ikea cutlery drainer? i also noticed that, like me, you havent cut out a "door" section, so to keep the flames going when you have a pot on top what do you do? do you just lift it up to chuck the sticks in, or do you just put what you think is enough in and leave it?

nice pics looks like a good day :)

Cheers

It's the same one from Ikea, but borrowed (or is that acquired:rolleyes:) from a mate, who got it from Woolies. I would have cut a wee door in it, but lack the tools to do so. One day.. :rolleyes:

The weather has taken a bit of nasty turn today, so there goes the plan to visit the Crannog. Bah humbug..:eek:

Cheers,

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Brilliant short story with pictures. I really felt for you and you deserved that cup of tea! Made me really jealous. Can't wait to get on the water.:red:

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
BTW sorry for immediately zooming in on one tiny piece of your equipment, while the pictures make me want to get on the water! I already have plans for next Spring, can't wait...

Last edited:

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
It's the same one from Ikea, but borrowed (or is that acquired:rolleyes:) from a mate, who got it from Woolies. I would have cut a wee door in it, but lack the tools to do so. One day.. :rolleyes:
Cheers,

Excellent pictures :D

Nagual if you stick it in the post to me I,ll cut a door in it for you and sent it back to you to :D

Cheers Russ

Last edited:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Thanks for the coments guys, it was my usual spot, out on Loch Eck, Argyll- part of the Loch Lomand and Trossachs National Park and a SSSI. Out on it a few times so far this year, and put up a few pics of it but thought it would be nice to show what it looks like slightly snowy too. I nearly made it out on Christmas Eve too, completely flat and calm, and very snowy.. but alas twas not to be. Maybe sometime in the future see a few other paddlers out here :D

Cheers.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Excellent pictures :D

Nagual if you stick it in the post to me I,ll cut a door in it for you and sent it back to you to :D

Cheers Russ

A most excellent offer Russ, however as Black Adder would say, " I have a cunning plan!" Just heated it up in the coal fire to as red as it would go for a while, and letting it cool down slowly, to what I think is annealing? Then attack it tomorrow with various bits n bobs, in particular the new grinder, not an angle grinder noo that would be far to sensible and proper, no, my weapon of choice - que Fat Boy Slim and a dancing Christopher Walken - is a bench grinder.. :lmao: There are other various files and whatnot I spotted in bivibabes cavern of delights ( her shed ) so will find out how crazy an idea this is..

Shewie said:
On my list for Spring Nag so I'll give you a shout again.
Another excellent suggestion, the more the merrier :welcome1:

Cheers

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
What is the river(Eachaig) like? From the map it looks like you could paddle/pole up to past Benmore and portage up from there.

Just wondering if it's easily reachable from Kilgreggan?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
What is the river(Eachaig) like? From the map it looks like you could paddle/pole up to past Benmore and portage up from there.

Just wondering if it's easily reachable from Kilgreggan?

I've not really looked too closely at it to be honest, I know there is a weir somewhere along it, but it would not be very large. It is certainly canoeable, however being a fairly novice canoer myself, and not really gone out with anyone that knows what they are doing, I tend to stay in areas I know, so haven't ventured that far down the loch. A mate of mine did, saying he went quite far down before his expert guide took a dip..:rolleyes:

Coming round by sea probably wouldn't be my first choice, by then I'm a chicken when it comes to getting cold and wet.. :eek: Unless of course you are driving round then that's okay.. :D.

I'll try and take a closer look next time I'm down there, and crucially when I remember.. :lmao:

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE