a new axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
hi i am new to this site, i am just wondering does anyone know a good hatchet or small axe for a beginner to use, however i am on a tight budget of £20 or maybe £25 max???
cheers :confused:

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I ordered one of the Wetterlings (16H) axes from extreme outdoor gear a week or so ago - I'll post something up about it when it arrives - it'll be on back-order though so I'm not holding my breath it'll arrive any time soon!

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
I was looking at that one as well, ended up getting an ultra cheapy old english hatchet from ebay. Hopefully will turn up tomorrow, will take it out for test down the woods in the week. Total price was £9.70 inc postage, seems to be hte going price for 2nd hand stuff.

Woody68

May 22, 2005
Arborfield, Reading
I had considered a Gransfors Small Forest Axe but thought that the price was a little steep. So I ended up buying a Wetterings Long Hunting Axe for £22.50. It needed to be sharpened correctly however this is no a hard task for any Bushcrafter. I think the axe is great and is the most used out of the four I have. I also removed the varnish from the handle and oiled it.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
I know gransfors axes are expensive, but I got one the other day - the new mini axe(picture here ) got mine from weald open museum.

It is smaller then the wildlife axe, but with its thinner blade it perfectly compliments the estwing sportsman I also use. I would describe it as between a heavey knife and a larger axe, great for fine detail on bow staves and some of the heavier work you could do with the wildlife axe, plus its so light you hardly know its hanging from your belt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE