A load of funghi

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well really have got other things to do but the weather lured me out to the woods!!:rolleyes:
On sessile oak (I think)

I'm pretty sure I know what all these are but please tell me anyway!!

Same shroom on fallen birch (I think....should really take out a notebook)
On birch again

In short grass

Finally,

Good to get some fresh air into the lungs ta dave

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Some nice 'shrooms. Of the top of my head you have there:

Chicken of the woods is the first one. (Edible)
Not really sure on the 2nd and 3rd - some kind of mycena (not worthwhile eating, also probably inedible
No idea on the 4th - highly unlikely to be edible.
5th is a common puffball. Edible, but that one looks well munched on by something else. LOL
6th - Looks like Oyster fungi - edible. But i'd want to 100% confirm the id as the image is a little over exposed.
7th - Again a bit over exposed. Is certainly a jelly fungus. Maybe Jew's ear but it looks far too pink.

I've decided it far easier to ID fungi in the flesh than on here! LOL

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I don't think the last one is Jew's Ear, which is usually more 'shell like' (no pun intended!) with a thinner membrane. I think that it looks a little bit like a folded, slightly transparent limpet shell.

Geoff

xylaria

I mostly agree with andyn,
1 Chicken of the woods, I am sure edible and choice.
2+3 mycena some the group are poisonious but not the that one
4 respunate or some word simerlar, dry rot is related to it
5 Lycoperdon perlatum. Slug has eaten it before you had the chance by the looks of it.
6 i cant work out the size of the fungus from the photo, It could be a Crepidotus applantus which is 5cm across and has white gills when young which is certainly not edible. The pleurotus family (oysters) are big with a bit stalk.
7 tremella group don't which one. Not related to ear fungi. Some jelly fungi are toxic though.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I don't think the last one is Jew's Ear, which is usually more 'shell like' (no pun intended!) with a thinner membrane. I think that it looks a little bit like a folded, slightly transparent limpet shell.

Geoff

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was solid or shell shaped. Wonder how long it will be in the future until you get 3d pictures that you can rotate to get the full 360deg view. :lmao:

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ta on all that got most right. Chicken not sure about the jelly was not (in my opinion) Jews ear well not any I have seen...it was pink and not orange..kind of looked like yellow brain but not the colour in my book.
2 I was going for bonnet bell cap
The stalk didn't look right for a common puffball but I didn't pick it so didnt take a photo.
Nearly brought home the chicken of the woods but have also read that can cause nausea and
although got a couple of id books they dont really tell you how shrooms look when they are prime and not 'past there shelf limit'
Dave
Ps Still not seen Beef steak and hoof fungus!!! I will find them this autumn!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE