A Hike To The Falls At Rainbow Lake

I got out for a hike today, There was still a little snow left here and there, here are a few pics I took.

IMG_8795.jpg

IMG_8827.jpg

IMG_8811.jpg

IMG_8821.jpg

There is snow on the mushroom, but it really doesn't show up in this picture too well.

IMG_8815.jpg

I was "buzzed" by a low flying plane.

IMG_8796.jpg

I checked out some bluffs. this is an area I like to stop and sit in during the warm months, but this time of year you have to beware falling icicles and falling pieces of rock being separated by the ice....some times some of them are rather large.

IMG_8799.jpg

IMG_8801.jpg

I found a few nice hunks of fatwood. This is the largest one.

IMG_8806.jpg

Then I made my way down to the falls.

IMG_8809.jpg

IMG_8810.jpg

I met a couple out hiking too and spent a little time talking to them...even gave them a few lessons in fire starting.

IMG_8808.jpg

I found a nice rock at the base of the falls to sit on and have lunch...traveling lite today so no cooking. You can't see it in this picture but the screen on the phone says "searching svc"...one of my favorite things about this place :)

IMG_8812.jpg

I raided my father-in-law's bundle of bailing twine and played with some of it.

IMG_8813.jpg

IMG_8814.jpg

Then there was a nice sunset on the way back up.

IMG_8822.jpg

IMG_8825.jpg

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Wonderful pictures Mistwalker. Everytime you post pictures, I'm struck by how much Tenn. looks like the Ozark mountain part of Arkansas. The ecology seems identical.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
You certainly live in a lovely place. I feel very lucky to live on the edge of the ( English ) Lake District, which is beautiful, but it's getting increasingly difficult to find somewhere "wild". I bet that you don't have that problem.

Cheers, Michael.

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the post. It is getting increasingly hard to find wild places...luckily the one good effect from this recession has been a reduction in land clearing and building. Where these pictures were taken is part of a two mile loop that the locals use for the morning runs and walking their dogs a lot....but leave the loop and head out along the Cumberland trail and it becomes increasingly wild. I love that area the best...much fewer pieces of garbage...none after five or six miles.

amazing photo's cheers for sharing them ..

Thanks Gaz, glad you enjoyed the pictures.

How long is the Cumberland Trail? If I'm ever in the States I'll have to try and walk at least a part of it, being from the ( historic ) county of Cumberland.

Cheers, Michael.

Hi Michael,

The trail is still currently a work in progress. It runs diagonally the width of the state of Tennessee along the eastern end. It starts up in the n.e. corner and ends down here where I live. There are 483 km of trail planned but I think so far only about 266km are actually open so far. If you get over this way you really should check it out, there is some beautiful scenery to behold.

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE