A hike along the Rainbow Lake trail

The last time Sarah and I went hiking she said she wanted to go to Rainbow Lake next time, seeing as Lisa was taking Alayna to Grandmama's today and Sarah is going to a friends next weekend I thought why not go today? I love listening to her play her flute and miss it since I am at work when she gets home, and I've been wanting to hear her play her flute out in the woods for some time now so we loaded up and headed out for a nice little day hike. It was to be our official end of Summer hike as tomorrow is the Autumn Equinox and the start of Autumn.

Near the begining of the trail she found a Hemlock tree hanging over the trail thas she wanted to monkey around in.
Sarah&

SarahinaHemlocktree.jpg

this is a small stream up near the top that runs down into Bee Branch
Sarahbythestream.jpg

This is the bridge over Bee Branch
ThebridgeatBeeBranch.jpg

This is one of the larger trees along the streams there
Ilovethelargetreesupthere.jpg

There are lots of really old, really tall trees in the gorge
reallytalltree.jpg

There are a few nice shelter rocks along the trail
theoverhangrockshelter.jpg

and some rock pile markers at forks in some of the trails
rockspiledataforkinthetrail.jpg

We found some rather large leaves on the ground, that knife is eleven inches or about 28 cm long, I'm told this is from what is called a"big leaf" Magnolia tree
Largeleaves.jpg

This is one of the Magnolia trees with those big leaves
largeleaftree.jpg

Sarah sat on top of a large rock and played soul soothing flute music for me while I walked around the general area taking pictures. It was really calming just listening to the melodies she played drifting through the trees and down the gorge as I walked around looking. I recorded a couple of the songs she played..., sorry about the poor video..., crappy camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifpt_MLWE0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIYoH8cIm7o

Sarahplayingflute-2.jpg

Sarahplayingherflute-1.jpg

PICT0766.jpg

I found some cool plants and ferns
PICT0696.jpg

Ivy.jpg

PICT0712.jpg

Two guesses who took this one lol.
PICT0735.jpg

and lots of mushrooms
PICT0698.jpg

PICT0699.jpg

PICT0741.jpg

PICT0739.jpg

PICT0784.jpg

PICT0722.jpg

PICT0822.jpg

smallmushroom.jpg

PICT0825.jpg

and a hard shelf fungus
PICT0819.jpg

Then we walked on down to the stream because she wanted to cool her feet in the water and watch the little fish swim around
Sarahatthestream.jpg

Sarahontherocks.jpg

PICT0790.jpg

Sarahcoolingherfeet.jpg

Then we headed acrooss the swinging bridge and on up the trail...you can see the wind blowing the falling leaves around in this one.
ontheswingingbridge.jpg

PICT0834.jpg

PICT0838.jpg

along the way we saw some more cool rock formations
Rockformation-1.jpg

we found a cool blue pool
Asmallpool.jpg

We stopped for a rest on top of a small bluff over looking the stream, there I found what I'm told appears to be a couple of Black Birch trees overhanging the bluff
OddConifertree-3.jpg

OddConiferTree-5.jpg

So Sarah decided to whittle away the time while I got the pictures I wanted, and pick at me about taking so many pictures. If she carries and uses this old issue knife for a while she just may learn to appreciate the one I've ordered for her that she has no idea yet is coming that's lighter, thinner, and has an edge that is much more keen.
Sarahwhittling.jpg

sarahsurvivalknife.jpg

Today's hike was a really nice way to end the summer, now come our Autumn hikes next lol.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
HI Mistwalker,

That hard shell mushroom looks very much like a horsehoof fungus. Excellent tinder when dry. Smoulders and keeps bugs away too.

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
Great photos, wish the rotten weather would clear up where I am, so I could get out myself:rolleyes:

Still, looking at your photos, and the lovely surroundings on your walk cheers me up - thanks for posting:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE