a guest in the forge.....

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hi all....

had Tariq over yesterday as he was after some help with forging, we had a bit of a faf tring to get some gas but then we where away......

T had some files with him, so we anealed them for him and used 1 square file for a bash.....

i showed him how i heat treat, and what happens to the metal when its quenched, we snapped the tip of a file that had been quenched so he could see the grain change (sorry no pic's of that.....DOH!!!).

T had a bash and learned the way i do things, he did very well and with some practice could be very good indead...:)

i tried to get what we had done finished as much as possible so T could do the remaining (grinding work) at home and finish the blades off....

i also tried something new, cutting the steel on the anvil, i have never done it before but it worked fine....:) i was supprised how easy it was infact.....

so, to sum up both happy i think, we both learned new skills that we can use again....:):):):):)

big thank you to Tariq who came across, and was kind enough to pay for the gas ;) Thanks T....:)

just a few pic's for you....

chris.

tasum

Forager
Mar 3, 2011
Leeds, UK
some more pics

imgp1530w.jpg

imgp1524.jpg

imgp1525c.jpg

imgp1526.jpg

imgp1527m.jpg

imgp1528b.jpg

imgp1529l.jpg

and a vid of chris's forge in action

[video]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/6110/9jk.mp4[/video]

thanks to chris for giving up his valuable time and showing me how it's done. thanks mate. you are a genuine fella and very humble about your level of skill.

thanks a lot :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Judging by the fencing - you do not like interuptions from passers by!

the land mines are the other side john, the fence is there so i dont go the wrong side....:):):):)

thanks for your comments T but what skill....:):):) im just a begginer mate and have a great great deal to learn yet......

i had a really good time mate, thank you for coming down and sorry it was rushed mate..... you will have to come down again for the day mate...

regards...

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE