A-Frame Poles?

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Hello wise ones

Since Bilmo put me onto using an A-frame with my lavvu I've been search for suitable poles. (2 poles tied together, poles on the outside and the lavvu hanging underneath/between the poles)

So far I am using the extendable washing line poles you can get from Wilko. They do the job but a quite heavy and still quite long when retracted.

By chance I just found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Britis...6448d1a6c43443bf25f707&pid=100508&rk=1&rkt=1&

Would anyone like to comment if a couple sets of these would work? Am initially thinking they pack down smaller, weight and if they are strong enough (not bendy)?

At the moment the wilko poles at 2.4m have to be fully extended. So would need to buy 2 sets of the above and have some sections left over. Or maybe enough sections to create a tripod?

Cheers all as always

Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Couldn't you scavenge some fallen branches when at your campsite and that way you'll not have to carry them at all?
Alternatively you could rig the apex of the tent to an overhanging branch without having to construct an A frame to start with.
That's assuming you're camping in or near a wood, of course.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Yep that is always an option but sadly that is all it can be in my mind, an option. I cannot guarantee I'll be near woods or if able to find suitable branches.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No idea about those avalanche rods, but could you not scrounge some of the sections of aluminium tent poles that fit into each other ? Some of the caravan awnings use them and the fabric on those dies a death with UV etc., leaving spare poles.
I like my extending clothes props, but there's no getting away from it; they're blooming heavy. Can't see those steel rods being all that much lighter, tbh.

M

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Those avalanche poles have the words 'Very Heavy Duty' attached to them so I reckon you'd find them probably as heavy if not a bit heavier than the clothes poles.<br>
<br>
Best suggestion I've got is go down your local camping supply shop that has displays of larger family frame tents and have a look in their 'oddments' bin. There's usually a fair few poles from various tents that have got mislaid, broken etc and they're selling off the left over poles

Last edited:

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Thank you for all the great ideas. I like the idea of the Vango poles but not the cost ;) Any reason fro mk5 and not others?

Am still umming and ahhing about taking a punt on the avalanche poles. If they are still the same (or close to) the wilko ones in weight, well at least they can by transported more easily. Am just concerned they may flex quite a bit when placed on a angle as they seem not very wide, plus being a solid pole and not a tube that could give less stability/strength.

Thinking I am talking my self out of it now :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thank you for all the great ideas. I like the idea of the Vango poles but not the cost ;) Any reason fro mk5 and not others?

IIRC the individual sections are longer and 'chunkier', less connections is less bendy.

Two poles (one shown) for a Mk3 for just under £15. Would still need an apex piece and a lot too short for your purpose though ~ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-pair-2-...026738?hash=item5b3436bdf2:g:jngAAOSwdGxXIjsv.

The potential for spreading under load would need to be addressed.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I sometimes use the A frame from one of my Blacks Good Companion tents, standard model. Works perfectly.

Using this in a couple of weeks for a little trip in a canoe.

The problem now would be finding some A frames on ebay or somewhere. However, failing that; take two extending washing line poles, as you have.....a fiver each...... cut off the top plastic hook thing if fitted, and buy a vango force 10 top piece..... not too expensive..... and marry up. Job's a good 'un.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
The only thing I'd say is Avelance probes are designed for one thing, to push up and down straight through freshly avalanched snow (so not compacted like ice) to feel for soft human bodies...that's all. so there's no need for lateral strength, just up and down I would doubt they would be usefull for anything else other than a flag pole or cheap iffy fishing rod.

Have you considered the type of aluminium tubing used on NHS crutches and zimmer frames, they're designed to take most of the weight of a human they're adjustable and already have joints, paint it up and no one would know, at my local tip, you can buy things like that for only a couple of quid!
I also came across a few aluminium poles that came of a sort of tripod display, these would also be strong enough, but avalanch poles.....naah.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE