A Foehn Hike

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Over the last week we have been experiencing an interesting weather condition here called "Foehn " you can read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind
It basically means that there is a hot wind coming off the mountains and the temps here have risen back up to around 25 degrees for about a week now

This weather makes for some great Autumn hiking as you get a nice warm wind but with a wonderful icy blue Autumn sky, I took a walk up a ridge close to my home yesterday and thought I would share some photos the day had a really great feel to it and I went home very relaxed
P1030415.jpg

P1030417.jpg

P1030418.jpg

P1030419.jpg

P1030420.jpg

My Missus very kindly picked up my favourite locally produced venison salami when she was in town the day before :)

P1030421.jpg

P1030423.jpg

P1030424.jpg

P1030422.jpg

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I enjoy looking at you photos Salad, great to see the local perspective of somewhere different and so nice. :)

Thanks for posting, keep em coming :bigok:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Thanks for your comments folks

The Foehn wind is interesting, it has a (for want of a better word) kinda magical feel to it . It feels like it would be more at home in the Sahara desert instead of a brisk Autumn day .
It was quite a strange but nice experience at the start of last week when I got up on the morning to go to my German speaking course and the sky was all orange and I had a hot strong wind in my face , Have to enjoy it while it lasts . According to the weather forecast the temps drop back down again on Friday then on Saturday we are forecast for snow and -7 degrees :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE