A few pics from my last wander(picture heavy)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi all, here are some photo's that i took last week whilst out for a walk,i just did'nt have the time to post them then because of work.

Anyway here goes.
This is a badgers set that is about 400 yards from my house,the burrow entrance is just behind the tree stump.
badger%20sett%20%28Small%29.JPG

Gorse(Ulex europaeus) a riot of colour and the smell of coconut was overpowering.
gorse%202%20%28Small%29.JPG

Cherry blossom(Prunus sp)
cherry%20blossom%20%28Small%29.JPG

Once in amongst the Cherry trees i found a few plants,here a Cowslip(Primula veris)
cowslip%20%28Small%29.JPG

A sea of Ramsons(Allium ursinum)
ramsons%20%28Small%29.JPG

Burdock(Arctium minus)
burdock%202%20%28Small%29.JPG

A bit of flavouring for a backwoods stew perhaps,Marjoram(Origanum vulgare)
marjoram%20%28Small%29.JPG

Wood Sage(Teucrium scorodonia)
wood%20sage%20%28Small%29.JPG

A Wild Strawberry(Fragaria vesca) in flower,can't wait for the fruit though.
wild%20strawberry%20%28Small%29.JPG

A useful plant if you have a sore head,Meadowsweet(Filipendula ulmaria)
meadowsweet%20%28Small%29.JPG

Wood-sorrel(Oxalis acetosella) remember not to eat alot of this as it contains Oxalic acid which is not good for you in large amounts.
wood%20sorrel%20bloom%20%28Small%29.JPG

On that note its good to know your poisonous plants as well as the good stuff,so heres a couple of poisonous ones
Dogs Mercury(Mercurialis perennis)
dogs%20mercury%202%20%28Small%29.JPG

dogs%20mercury%20%28Small%29.JPG

And Wood Anemone(Anemone nemorosa)
wood%20anemone%20%28Small%29.JPG

I found this whilst tracking deer,Dryads Saddle(Polyporus squamosus)
dryads%20%28Small%29.JPG

dryad%202%20%28Small%29.JPG

And some deer sign,i think they must be using it to have a good scratch
deer%20sign%20%28Small%29.JPG

Phew,there we go a cracking day spent out observing mother nature and her wonderful workings.
I hope you enjoy them as much as i did being out there.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Awww, I just wish there were more ramsons around where I live. If I'm not mistaken, they are actualy a protected plant (over harvested in maple tree forests.... you know, maple sirup... and some people just can't be satisfied with a handful).

Very nice pictures Stuart F, thanks for sharing !

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fantastic post - thanks Stu. I love these posts - I look out for stuff from Jon and Hanzo thinking "oh good - people actually doing stuff"!

Some cracking photos too - one or two that I have ever seen in the wild so to speak - so topical that I'll keep my eyes open!

Thanks again

Red

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi all and thanks for the kind words folks.

BorderReiver,aye the grey auld toon has her hidden secrets,infact all this is just on the edge of the town not even 1/4 of a mile from my front door. Today i was sat on top of the hill where i frequent using the bino's to watch wildlife in the wood across the valley,i managed to spot where the buzzards are building a nest,also watched a Kestrel hunting but the bonus was when a Fox came out the Gorse not 20 feet away from me,it gave me the once over and by the look on its face i would guess it was thinking "oh no not another bushcrafter" :rolleyes: . I was gutted i didn't have the camera ready though :eek: . There are a good number of Roe deer as well.

John P. The uses i have got for Wood Sage are thus, it can be used in cookery in small quantities but to much can taste bitter, also it is a good substitute for Hops when brewing beer,you can make tea with it but use the younger leaves as the older ones are rather bitter,it may need heavy sweetening,but the aroma is supposed to be lovely.

I have to credit the above info to a wildfood cookbook that was printed 22 year ago by Joy O.I.Spoczynska, a gem of a read.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE