A curious earwig

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Today, whilst moving a pile of stacked timber during a storm, I disturbed a nest of earwigs - bleeding loads of them too - probably a couple of hundred. This surprised me as the timber is not rotten - its pressure treated new stuff - and it had only been stacked there a few days before.

Anyway, one of thes eearwigs was white / translucent.

I suspected this was a newly hatched one. Thats fine - except it was slightly larger than a fully grown adult :confused::confused:

Anyone have any idea why this apparent hatchling would be so large?

4939388318_c97444f56e_z.jpg

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cheers Trunks - looks like nuggets nailed it - I suspect probably the final "shedding" of a large one

However old I get - theres always something new to see

Thanks guys

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
yep its just a moult. the reason its larger than the rest is because the shell hasnt dried and shrunk yet so is still all squishy.

Dingus Magee

Loitering within tent
Nov 22, 2008
Darkest Aberdeenshire
I found one of these when I were a lad (decades ago now lol) clearing out our garden shed. Its a female, as evidenced by the shape of the cerci, or 'pincers' on the tail, and I assumed at the time that she was the 'queen'. Earwigs do, in fact, care for their young quite carefully, protecting them until their first moult. They'll moult their exoskeleton, as they grow, about 5-6 times in all...if she was larger than the other earwigs, it suggests that this was maybe one the later moults...great that you caught that on film though...nice one :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE