5 minutes with a brush and a malamute

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
5 minutes with a brush and a malamute....

And I have 80g worth of fur, so I'm hoping that after another 15 mins of brushing I'll have around 300g worth. Enough to use as insulation in a small quilt perhaps??

After a bit of washing [apparently I'll have to be carefull how I wash it as it may end up felting - so my missus tells me] It hopefully won't smell doggy, not sure what will have if it ever gets wet in the future.

Or does any one else have suggestions of what to do with loose fur??

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Someone I met had a bitch, can't remember the breed. She had the loose hair made into wool and knitted a blanket for the pups with it

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Someone up here in Glasgow area , had a photograph in the newspaper a couple of years ago of himself wearing a sports jacket he had been able to have produced from the combings from his rough (Lassie type) collie. I think he had been saving the hair up for some considerable time, and then got it professionally spun and woven. So there is an idea for you , if you have that kind of patience. My wife went to a class of some sort in the kingdom of Fife, where they all went out and collected sheeps' wool from barbed wire fences and then were shown how to spin it with a hand spindle,, then when she got home, sheknitted it into a pair of Mitts. I would not have the patience to do that, but it must give a great sense of achievement to do it. Just save up till you have a couple of Bin Bags full and you should be OK for a Scarf and a pair of gloves L.O.L.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE